Madame Curie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Madame Curie

Post  martha hildreth on Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Marie Sklodowski, known as Madame Curie, was born on 1867 in Poland. She was one of five kids, and her parents had high expectations for all of them. All of them graduated with the highest grades in their class. Apart form being really cultured and smart family they struggled financially. Foreigners took many jobs, and Marie’s father lost his job to a Russian because he was loyal to Poland and a patriot. To help pay for their living expenses, Marie’s family took in student boarders. This many people living together, helped spread diseases, and Marie’s mother got tuberculosis from her husbands brother. After expensive treatments, she died in 1878 when Marie was only nine years old. Her sister then died of Typhus and to fill in for the losses, the family began to act out as doctors, and soon it became a real goal. Marie joined the science class in “flying university” and it was called this way because it was secret, they didn’t have a campus, and they would only meet in houses. To help pay for Sorbonne college, Marie got a job as a governess. Marie go to enroll in Sorbonne university, and later on that got her to be the first women to win 2 Nobel prizes in physics. She was also the first woman to earn a doctorate in Europe. Her investigations then led to the discovery of radioactivity as well as the element radium.

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Madame Curie

Post  Tati.Suriel on Sun May 26, 2013 2:26 am

wow, I would feel super successful if I were her, or lucky if I were her family! That is not something that happens everyday where someone becomes super successful out of poverty and such a unique living situation. She must have been very smart if she was capable of getting herself through all of the education and jobs without being stopped in her path. Interesting topic!
Tati.Suriel
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I had heard of Madame Curie before but I really had no idea who she had been. I thought maybe she had been a queen or a princess but now that you posted this I REALLY know who she was. It is amazing how she was the FIRST woman in Europe to recieve a doctorate, talk about a legend!
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  simonvela on Mon May 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Good job Martha

This woma is very interesting and had a very sad life. Im urprised she could continue after her mother's and sister's death. It is sad that they died from such terrible disseses but i think it pushed her to become a docter and win two nobel prizes. Her mother would have been so proud.
simonvela
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 am

WOW Martha, very nice topic! Marie Sklodowski should be very proud of herself, not only for what she did to help her family, but also what she did to the world. Marie is an inspiration to many women. It is so brave of herself that she was able to take a stand and work hard to finally become the first doctorate in Europe. Her discovery of radioactivity really is beneficial to our world today. Nice topic, keep up the good work! congratulations

Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am

It's really cool how through the bad things that happened in her life, she was motivated to help people and ended up being super successful even when she had almost nothing. She seems like a really inspirational person.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum