The aztec civilization

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The aztec civilization

Post  martha hildreth on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Explorers don’t know the exact time when the Aztecs came to Mesoamerica, but it is known that they came form Aztlan, the white land. They were known to be hunters and gatherers who settled in Mexica. The Aztecs were the ones who replaced the previous tribe called the Toltecs. It is said that the Aztecs saw an eagle settling itself on a cactus, and this was the motivation to build their buildings and form their first empire in Tenochtitlan. They based themselves in the hunting and gathering and soon built sophisticated methods of irrigation. This was the base of their civilization, and with a strong military force, they formed their empire. The Aztecs formed a three-way alliance with the Texcocans and the Tacubans to defeat their most powerful opponent, the Tepanec. With time they defeated them and Tenochtitlan, came to be the largest city of that region, with more than 140,000 inhabitants.

The markets of the Aztec empire were the main sustainers of the Aztec economy. About 50,000 people went to the market every day. Apart from economy, the Aztec empire was a well-rounded place to live, since they highly developed art, socializing, and interacting. The Aztecs had a caste system that was only divided into two, the nobles at the top, and the slaves and servants at the bottom.

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: The aztec civilization

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Nice topic Martha! I always hear about the Aztecs but I never knew were they came from. I am a little confused when you said that they were inspired by an eagle.. How come? It's interesting to see that back then, all it took to build an empire was to have a strong army, and that's all! Nice work martha, keep it up! bananarama
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Tati.Suriel on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 am

It's really cool how they got all of their inspiration from an animal. I'm pretty sure that many tribes relied on animals to inspire them. It is kind of funny how Aztec is still commonly used today, but usually in design or pattern. For example, Aztec design which usually consists of lots of lines and shapes; it is actually quite beautiful how detailed it is. I am sure they also had a great sense in style.
Tati.Suriel
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum