Harlem Renaissance

Go down

Harlem Renaissance

Post  HelenaD on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm

What is the Harlem Renaissance ?

It was a literary movement that occurred during the 1920s at the time known as New Negro Movement , after the civil war in the US. It was like a liberty of African-Americans to express themselves and discover their talents as poets, writer and explore their new identities as free citizens. Many poets, musicians, painters, writers, actors, dancers, sculptors, etc, came out expressing and incorporating into the movement. Not only people from the Harlem neighborhood were influenced by it but also many others in the world such as French-speaking black writers from Africa and the Caribbean from Paris. It was this will to have more equality, rights and power after the Civil War ended, that made African Americans rise out and fight for their values.

Within many artists known from the Harlem Renaissance movement here are some i researched:

-AARON DOUGLAS: Painted and produced illustrations for many publications. His work best exemplified the "New Negro" in society.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

-JACOB LAWRENCE: Also a painter, he was the first mainstream African American artist. He says:
"I've always been interested in history, but they never taught Negro history in the public schools... I don't see how a history of the United States can be written honestly without including the Negro."

[Only admins are allowed to see this image] --> Dreams

-AUGUSTA SAVAGE : She was a sculptor and teacher. Her studio was important to many careers of famous rising artists in the Harlem Renaissance.

-JIM JONES: Rapper and actor, he was a member of a collective hip-hop group The Diplomats. His solo debut studio album, On My Way to Church was released in 2004. He was also a video director noted under the name of CAPO were he worked with artists like Cam,ron, Remy Ma, and State Property, all fellow "Harlems".

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Harlem Renaissance

Post  AnaMartinez on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Nice post!
Here are some facts I found on the Harlem Renaissance:

- A New York neighborhood called Harlem was the center of this African American cultural renaissance.
- The Harlem Renaissance influenced future generations of black writers.
- African Americans relocated from the South to New York.
- Harlem was the neighborhood that many of them chose as their new home.
- During this time, being black became a pride in many peoples' lives.
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Brock M. Hay on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow, it is great that you took what we are learning about in English class and writing about it, even expanding on certain writers. What I found was that it occurred in the Harlem district, thus being called the Harlem Renaissance. There is currently no connection with the infamous Harlem Shake, other than perhaps the Harlem shake possibly originating from the same neighborhood. Either way, I am glad that that trend is over.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum