Orthodoxy: Basic info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orthodoxy: Basic info

Post  Kat.B on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:41 am

I'm orthodox, but what does it mean? Well, it's Christianity, but it's really different from Catholicism. It came to Russia from Byzantium(I'm planning to make another topic on this story). Orthodox people believe that God has 3 faces: Holy Spirit, Father God, and Son God, these 3 faces form the Holy Trinity. When a child is born in an Orthodox family he'll be named after a saint that was born close to that day. This saint will lead you through life, you ask him/her to help you in hard moments. One of the most important celebrations is Easter, but we have no rabbits(I'm going to google what do rabbits have to do with Jesus Crist). Russian Orthodox Church has its own calendar, we celebrate our Easter on different days. This year, for example, we are going to celebrate it on the 5th of May. The day before Easter, we all bake Easter cakes, color eggs, clean our houses. On the Easter, when you meet another orthodox person, you say "Христос Воскрес", which means "Christ has risen", and this person must answer "Воистину Воскрес", which means "indeed He has Risen". And then you have to kiss each other 3 times. What is the difference? I had a choice. I could be a Catholic, or Orthodox. Why Orthodox? Because before choosing my religion, I went to see Catholic Church, and it didn't impress me. When I enter or even see an Orthodox church, I automatically get quiet. Oh, one more detail: You cannot enter an Orthodox church, unless you follow the rules. The main ones are: silence, if you are a man, you cannot enter with a hat on your head, if you are a woman, you must have a long skirt and your head has to be covered with a hat. So lets say, you are inside the church. All the walls are painted with icons and texts from Holy Bible. All the windows are staines glass, the smell of honey candles surrounds you. The sound of prayers is everywhere. You can't sit in this church. And you feel fear. Fear to be bad, to make a sin. All these faces watch you, and you have no doubts: God is here. In a Catholic church I felt nothing like that. I didn't feel like I was in Church. So yes, I had chosen to become Orthodox. The process of baptism was scary. I never had been a religious zealot, but when my almost-god mother said: "I deny hell", I felt hot, dry wind going through the room, the doors shut with loud sound. I still remember this moment. After the baptism, all our sins before that moment are forgiven. But after that all your sins will be counted. So yes, the main difference between Orthodox and Catholocism is that Orthodox is A LOT more strict.It was only a brief definition. Thank you for reading. Wink

;

Last edited by Kat.B on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kat.B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 24

http://vk.com/idkissme98

Back to top Go down

Re: Orthodoxy: Basic info

Post  martinka64_Kate on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Great topic! I know many christian people that are orthodox, even though I am not into religion or anything, I find it quite interesting to see where does the religion come from.
martinka64_Kate
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Fisher on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Very good post Kat, your personal account brought a lot of the differences between the two Churches to light. We'll be studying the Byzantine Empire soon after we finish Rome. For those who aren't sure, the Byzantine Empire is what continued on in the Eastern part of the Roman Empire after Rome fell. With Constantinople as its capital, it thrived during the middle ages while most of the rest of Europe endured a dark age.

I hope you'll share more of your thoughts about the Byzantine Empire and the Orthodox Church when we cover it in coming weeks. thumbs up
Mr. Fisher
Admin
Admin

Student Rating : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat.B on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Thank you! I just got really exited about this topic Very Happy
Kat.B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 24

http://vk.com/idkissme98

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Nice topic Kat. I remember discussing some of it in class, but this post helped me understand it. I love to learn where religions come from and how they came to be. Orthodox sounds like it's really strict compared to the other religions. I know a lot of Christians, and now I know an Orthodox as well, how exciting! I personally, have no religion though.
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

http://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: