Theravada vs. Mahayana

Go down

Theravada vs. Mahayana

Post  Jordan Wahba on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 am

Theravada vs. Mahayana
There are many different forms of Buddhism practiced all over the world. Theravada Buddhism is the more orthodox of the two and believers follow a specific path of enlightment. In order to practice Theravada Buddhism in its pure form, a monastic life must be chosen. Children can join the monastic life from the age of seven. Southern (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, parts of South east Asia). Mahayana Buddhism is a collection of many different styles of Buddhism, Although Meditation is practiced in many forms, Mahayana Buddhism is led traditional than its counterpart. Mahayana Buddhism contains many diverse rituals. Northern (Tibet, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, parts of South East Asia.
Jordan Wahba
Jordan Wahba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Theravada vs. Mahayana

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Nice topic Jordan! Buddhism is a religion that is still practiced all over the world and has influenced many people's lives. As you said, there are different forms of Buddhism such as Therevada and Mahayana. Personally, if i would be a Buddhist, I would most likely Mahayana because it is more free and it is very diverse. Even though you have to follow some rites, it is not as strict as Therevada. Nice work Jordan, keep it up! thumbs up bananarama congratulations

Lou Bouzonnet
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Nice topic Jordan. Didn't we learn about Therevada and Mahayana Buddhism in class in World History? We also made a ven diagram comparing Therevada and Mahayana in class. I might be able to add some information from your topic into my ven diagram! Just the other day I ran into a Buddhist. Buddhism is a very important religion for most people and it still lives on.
Maya Luisa
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: