Shiva

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shiva

Post  martha hildreth on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Shiva is the destroyer; he is in charge of death and destruction but also destroying the ego and the false identification. Although many might think that this is the evil god, Indians think that this is the most essential god of goodness, because he is the god that makes possible the creation of something bad into a new person, animal or thing, with a clean future. Through meditation, Shiva is shown because it is believed that when one goes into deep meditation, everything is transformed into the Shiva. This is why the Shiva mostly appears meditating or doing yoga.

Shiva has many forms; one of these is the Mahamrityunyaya, which is considered the greater conquer of death. It is said that it removes death and deseases. This form of Shiva believes that the mind must be in a peaceful state and that one must enjoy pure joy. Another form is the Nataraj. This one represents the destruction and creation of the world. It reveals the cycle of death, birth, and rebirth. This is represented with the Shiva dancing along with fire.

Some attributes to the lord Shiva are:

1) The snakes: show that he is beyond death.
2) The two sided drum: represents the beat of the hart.
3) The white bull: it’s the vehicle
4) Tiger skin as clothing: represents the mind

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Shiva

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 am

Very impressive topic Martha! As you said, many gods such as Shiva, are often very strong and powerful. I find it interesting how depending on the religions, people believed in many gods and different powers. In this case, Shiva had the ability to do many things. There are many representations of Shiva that shows his powers such as the destruction and creation of the world. The gods were often represented with powerful objects or things as well. In this case, an attribute to the lord of Shiva was the white bull, representing its vehicle. Before, bulls had a great significance in people's religions do to his strength, power, and beauty. Great topic Martha, Keep it up! thumbs up bananarama congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Shiva

Post  Isiah Smith on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:10 am

I love how, out of the three gods, you chose the destroyer god. I couldn't help but laugh, you still did an amazing job at describing her and what she does. I really liked the way you described her and how much importance she has. It's true, if you're missing one, you're missing all of the gods. Keep up the hard work Martha!Very Happy
Isiah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am

I found it really interesting how the god of destruction is as appreciated as the god of creation is. It makes you think that in order to have creation, there needs to be destruction. I think the hindu religion is really interesting and a cool way to think about things.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Great job Martha! The first time that I heard that Shiva was the god of ''destruction'', I immediately thought that he was an evil god. But then I heard about him being extremely honored and admired. It's true, without him, there would be no cycle of life. People would be born but would never die.
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum