INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION: Why in England

Go down

INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION: Why in England

Post  HelenaD on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 am

The Industrial revolution started in England and was determined when there was a change from cottage industry and an agrarian population, to factories systems and industrialized towns. It was a huge development of technologies and new machines and systems that facilitated ways to do things in society. Before, it was cottage industry that lead people's lives. Cottage industry was a factory were products were home based and manufacturing was made at home by family members. This change occurring in England introduced a new way of producing goods which is using new machines to manufacture. There were great inventions concerning agriculture and ways of making clothing.

Why did it begin in England?

Because of:
-Natural resources
-New technologies
-Economic conditions (population overgrowth)
-Access to many markets
-Political and social conditions

1~Natural Resources
_There were large supplies of iron ore and coal underneath the land. This helped for the fabrication of new engines and machines work.
_Labor was really needed to work to extract the resources. Also needed build the big factories and work in them.
_Most workers in the mines were children because they were smaller to fit in tunnels and they were payed less. Children were used because of the necessity of workers for mining.

2~New technologies
_1700s, they had skilled mechanics and were willing and impatient to get more. Many were agricultural as said in the first paragraph such as the seed drill.

*Seed Drill by Jethro Tull - new way of planting. Before, they would attach a rack to cattle's back and then carrying the seeds mean would pass along the rowans and drop them one by one. Now, no more of that was needed and things were faster. The seed drill consisted of wheeled vehicle attached to an ox's back and sprayed seeds out evenly after it has plowed the land.
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

3~ Economic conditions
_Had a vast colonial empire in America which helped with economy.
_Accumulated capital to invest in mines, shipping, salaries, railroads and factories.
_Entrepreneurs would risk their wealth on new inventions or industrialization techniques.
_Population rose significantly and the demand of goods and products increased.
_Not only they had markets in America but had many international ones with Europe and the African continent.

4~Political and social situation
_England had a pretty stable government that provoked economic growth.
_Held a very strong army to protect from foreign invaders and keep empire in security.
_Religion: Many entrepreneurs formed part of religious groups with straightforward and strong ideas.
_URBANIZATION = Cities became overpopulated quickly because of the movement form suburbs to towns. Farmers and landowners from the border country migrated to cites for jobs and to earn better money. Tat was because many were forced to separate their lands in order to keep some for factory products.

GREATEST INVENTIONS:
Flying Shuttle - John Kay
Spinning Jenny - James Hargreaves
Water Frame - Richard Arkwright
Steam Engine - James Watt
Locomotive -Richard Trevithick
Telegraph - Samuel Morse
Telephone - Alexander Graham Bell
Induction Electric Motor- Nikola Tesla
Airplane - Orville and Wilbur Wright

many more...

Sources : Class notes

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION: Why in England

Post  Brock M. Hay on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, I have to compliment of how detailed and long your blog is, great job! Anyway I find it also interesting as to how the industrial revolution also affected the United States a great deal. Was this because the United States and Great Britain are so closely related, or is it because they merely had a surplus of money or a good amount of resources?
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Reflection

Post  Brandon H. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 am

The blog was good, in the way that if I needed to better my notes, or study for a test I could look here. It`s also cool that the inventions and the inventors were shown, now I`m curious about the inventions, maybe blog topic for me? Probably, thanks Helena.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

The Industrial Revolution occurred in Great Britain for various reasons. First of all, it had a booming economy full of people that were willing to invest their money. Entrepreneurs helped get factories open and running, giving way to a series of new inventions. This Revolution caused urbanization as well. People began leaving their farms and cottages in the rural areas of Britain to find work in large cities like London. Farmers became factory workers and living conditions worsened. Cities became overcrowded and things like waste control was a major problem. New technologies like the steam engine and the telephone were made. These inventions helped pave the way to what we have today.

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:07 pm

The Industrial Revolution began in Britain for various reasons, but I think you've explained that very well Helena. It's large supply of natural resources was a great reason as to why it began in Britain. This blog post is great and very detailed. It could of helped greatly to study from it right before the test. Well, I think it's great that it began in Britain. The only thing I didn't like about it was the way that the workers, children especially, were being treated while working. Some were whipped and beaten, like they were slaves. I say if it weren't for them then who would have worked at these industries? The owners should have been more grateful.
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Hi Helena

Post  Brandon H. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 am

To expand on what I already said, I liked the review, because it was something that we specifically need to know, and it is presented well. If I read this blog, just before takinng this question on our test, I would have had a really easy time of answering why the industrial revolution started in Great Britain.

"Great info because it was something we specifically need to know"
- Brandon Hay`s Reviews
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Brock M. Hay on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

I realize that i have already replied to this post however no one has posted anything all Semana Santa therefore I have no other option other than repeating my replies. A huge influence to the improved technology and economy came due to the Victorian age, when queen Victoria ruled. She was a great queen and secured the government well and her people very much liked her, and her improvements to the education system most likely caused the advanced technology and business.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum