peloponnesian war

View previous topic View next topic Go down

peloponnesian war

Post  martha hildreth on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:18 pm

In 431 BC ancient Greece was not considered a nation. It was a bunch of city-states that maintained a constant fight for power. Most of the city-state unified in alliances with either Sparta or Athens. These alliances were the Delian league leaded by Athens and the Peloponnesian league led by Sparta. Athens relied on its navy army thanks to their location on the coast, while Sparta relied mostly on the land army that was strong but was the only strategy they had.

This war took 27 years; we can say that the first ten years were direct conflict between Sparta (commanded by Archidamus) and Athens, while the next six years were dominated by a plague that affected the Athenians much more than the Spartans so they called truce. The years remaining were constant fighting. The Athenian strategy was to stay behind the walls where they were protected and the massive walls and their navy. The Spartan strategy was to surround Athens with its strong army and attack. The Athenian plan was weakened in front of the Spartans so Pericles commanded Athenians to maintain everyone inside their cities including their alliances while the navy was sent to surround Sparta and harass their enemies’ coasts and shipping. Soon Athens declined thanks to a plague that affected a large part of its army; this brought their loss to the battle. Crying or Very sad

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: peloponnesian war

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I really enjoyed reading your topic Martha, especially since we are learning about the Peloponnesian War. The Peloponnesian War is one of my favourite. I can't believe that it lasted 27 years! Also, why do you think that the plague affected the Athenian much more than Sparta?? The Spartans strategy was good, which is probably the main reason why the won the battle. Even though they won, I would've preferred it the Athenians won! king
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Peloponnesian war

Post  Isiah Smith on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Great topic Martha! I felt like i wrote it because i wrote my topic about the same thing and it almost sounded like a broken record, everything being repeated. HAHA I actually really enjoyed reading your topic because you had some things that i didn't. One thing that you had that i didn't was the leader of Sparta at the time, i just included Pericles! Anyways, great topic Martha, keep it up! thumbs up
Isiah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Coutu on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Great topic Martha, I really enjoyed reading about it. It is amazing that how LONG that war lasted! 27 years is a long time! But I do wonder, could the war have lasted longer or turned out differently if the plague hadn't affected the Athenians so badly? Anyways, good Job Martha, keep it up.
Brian Coutu
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 pm

The Peloponnesian war was a really interesting topic to hear about! I can't believe the war lasted for that long, and that the Spartans surrounded Athens so that they would eventually have to leave their city. It's definitely a different technique of fighting than most ancient city-states used. You would especially think that Sparta would just go right into fighting instead of waiting.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulises De Leon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm

It’s sad to hear that Sparta won the Peloponnesian war because I wanted Athens to win. I think they could have won the war if it wasn’t for the plague. I really wonder how the plague even started of where it came from. Maybe the Spartans strategically made a plague and infected the Athens. Either way the war destroyed both of the city-states because of all the war.
Ulises De Leon
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 22

Back to top Go down

Peloponnese War

Post  Samuelvela on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Nice topic Martha! I think it would have been best if they didn't invite everyone to stay inside the walls. It would have been different if Pericles was still ruler and didn't die from the disease.

Samuelvela
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum