Aristotle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aristotle

Post  martha hildreth on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Aristotle was born in 384 B.C in Stagira a town at the north of Greece. His parent’s died when he was young and his brother in law took care of him. Aristotle was sent to Athens to study philosophy since it was the cultural center in the world. His teacher Plato who was student of Socrates taught him well but soon began to have disagreements in the way of thinking; so when Plato died Aristotle didn’t take his position in the academy. Aristotle then created his own academy called the Lyceum in Athens where he remained most of his life teaching others. Aristotle thesis was that people are capable of learning everything there is about reality. In my opinion this is not true, you can’t learn everything in a lifetime. Later on Aristotle was charged with impiety and fled to Chalcis and caught a disease of the digestive organs and this provoked his death. After this all his work was forgotten but now it forms the basics of what we know about Greece and the philosophy back them.

one of my favorite quotes that i found of him is:
Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.
This for me means that you have to take risks to get somewhere and if you don't then you will get stuck where you are and you won't experience the world as it is. Living in fear is boring because you see the same things and don't change what you see in from of you.

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Aristotle

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Wow, very interesting post Martha! Like you, I am very inspired by Aristotle, and I love his quotes. They all say something about life, and it is often something we can relate to. Like you said, I don't agree either on Aristotle's thesis. There are an infinitive amount of things to know and learn in life, that it is impossible to know it all. Your quote was a great choice as well. I agree with Aristotle because if you live in fear, you will no go nowhere, but if you take risks, you might commit mistakes, but at least you learn from them. Great job Martha, keep it up! thumbs up bananarama congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulises De Leon on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm

I really like that you wrote about Aristotle because I really like him and I look up to him. He is really cool because he was a great philosopher and a very smart man. It's people like him that make the world great. If it wasn't for him we might look at things a different way today. He was also a very interesting and important part of Greek history. What a Face Cool
Ulises De Leon
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  laraschembrisant on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Aristotle was and still is a big part of todays culture. He is an idol to many and he is a very inspiring man. All his quotes are so interesting and make you think.

"Happiness depends upon ourselves."
Aristotle

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top