Persian War

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Persian War

Post  martha hildreth on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm

At 490 B.C. Persia controlled many powerful regions like the Nile River including the delta, Mesopotamia, Indus river valley and Asia Minor with the Black sea. Greece had begun to settle at the coast of Asia Minor in territories of Persia. Persia conquered these colonies that were starting to settle and around 499 B.C. Greeks in these colonies revolved against Persian rule and that was the beginning of the war. Athens, which was a Polis from Greece, sent their troops over the Aegean Sea to try and fight against the Persians but did not work. Darious the 1st decided that Athens had to pay for helping Greeks and if they didn’t honor him he would try to conquer whole Greece. Darious required that the Greek polis give him goods and treasures to honor him; all of them did except for Athens and Sparta, who killed the messengers.

Darious of Persia declared war against this polis. Darious invaded through the marathon bay and Athens asked Sparta for help but they wouldn’t be there for 9 days due to a religious festival honoring Ares; this was Athens had to take the Persian empire alone. The Athenians were outnumbered 5 to 1. Persia had an army of 100,000 and Athens 20,000 but the advantage of the Athenians was that they knew their land and since the Persians came from the sea they were vulnerable to the arrows. The Athenian army was well organized and knew their tactics really well, while the Persians had quantity but lacked tactics and were forced to retreat. Darious never returned but in 480 B.C. his son Xerxes did. Herodotus stated that Xarxe’s army had a million people but we would guess it was an exaggeration and they actually had a couple hundred thousand. The Persian army attacked by land (north) and from the sea.

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Persian War

Post  laraschembrisant on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 pm

The Persian war is a very important event in which the Greeks fought against the Persians. If the Persians would have won, today we would not have had the alphabet we have today, and the way of life we have today.

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  martinka64_Kate on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm

It would be really scary to take action in one of ancient wars, especially this one! You see people die on your eyes, and what is it even for? To conquer land? Thanks god today there are different countries, and there are no open wars.
martinka64_Kate
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulises De Leon on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 pm

I find your topic very interesting and it is excellent review for what we learn in class. The Persian wars is one of the most interesting things we have learned in world history class and it is really nice that you can tell it to us and summarize it.
Good job What a Face thumbs up
Ulises De Leon
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Nice post! I like the topic. You summarized it pretty well from what we learned in class. The Persian Wars are a very important time in history. Imagine we lived back then and had to take action in one of those ancient wars! I am not sure what I would have done! Nice job Martha! Keep up the good work Very Happy
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

http://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

The Persian War

Post  Isiah Smith on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Great topic Martha! I believe that in a way the Persians should've won, they truly deserved the victory. But, on the other hand, i'm very glad that they didn't because who knows; we could be living a completely different life if the Persians had won the war. Many things would be different. Great job Martha, keep it up! Very Happy
Isiah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 am

Great topic Martha! The Persian War has been my favorite topic in world history so far! I find it so interesting how both the Persians and the Greeks used their intelligence to use different techniques to attack each other. The Greeks had an advantage because since it was their land, they new where to go and hide; but the Persians had an incredible amount of soldiers. What most impresses me, is the technique the Athenians used with the battering rams. I would've never thought of that idea! Great topic Martha, keep it up! thumbs up congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 pm

I found the Persian War really interesting when we were studying it in class. It's very interesting how even though the Athenians didn't mainly focus on war and fighting in their city-state, they still succeeded in helping defeat the Persians although the Persians were very focused on war and had thousands of fighters.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rita Lulo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 pm

I found this topic of persian wars very interesting because it got Sparta and Athens to work together in order to beat the persians. At the end of the war very many Spartans died in order to let the Athens beat the Persians. I found this a very brave sacrifice and i would be proud to be a spartan pirat

Rita Lulo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Persian War

Post  Samuelvela on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm

I think it would have been smarter for Darius to gather more information at first or even attack from multiple areas at once not just the same area. Anyways keep up the good work!

Samuelvela
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum