Africa ; Fauna, Ecology, Climate

Go down

Africa ; Fauna, Ecology, Climate

Post  HelenaD on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 pm

AFRICA

Location in the world

The african coninent is the second-largest and second most-populous after Asia. In total it covers 6% of the Earth surface. This land is surrounded by many Oceans : the mediterranean sea to the North, Indian ocean to the southeast, and the Atlantic ocean to the west.

Fauna

Africa is probably the first of the continents to have the world's largest combination of density and range of freedom of wild animals with populations of large carnivores (as lions, cheetahs, hyenas, leopards), and herbivores (like buffalos, zebras, camels, giraffes, elephants and deers) ranging freely on open, large plains. This immense continent is also home to many jungle creatures (including snakes, panthers, gorrilas) and aquatic life animals (such as crocodiles and other amphibians).

Leopard
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Ecology

"Africa is suffering of deforestation at twice the world rate of deforestation" - United Nations Environment Program
, which is a huge amount of destruction. Some other sources say that deforestation has already wiped out aproxomately 95% of West Africa's original forests for example. Since the existence of humans in this continent 2500 years ago, the island of madagascar, also part of the continent, has lost more than its forests too. A big problem is also that 65% of the African agricultural land suffers from soil degradation.

~Climate

I think it is incredible the variety of climate and weathers that can appear in Africa. It ranges from tropical to subartic on its highest mountain peaks. Half North of Africa is mostly a desert and very arid area. The biggest desert, the Sahara desert is located there. In the southern parts though, you can explore both savannah plains and very dense jungle, rainforest regions.In between the North and South there is climate views of steppes or sahels.

Map of Africa and climate ranges
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Africa ; Fauna, Ecology, Climate

Post  Brock M. Hay on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Well this is interesting I did not know a lot of these facts, such as about all of the deforestation and such. I never really thought of it though I suppose it is one of the most disverse continent in terms of its organisms. Why did you feel like writing a post about this? Did it just come up in your head?
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  HelenaD on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 pm

How did that come to my mind..? My dance teacher is from Africa and i asked her about her parents and she started talking about the culture in Africa.. I researched about the culture and stumbled up upon other topics like climate and fauna so i decided to write something about it.

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Nice post Helena! Smile This was an interesting topic to post about. I didn't know many of these facts about Africa. I became interested by your post and looked up some facts on Africa. Here's what I found:
- The current population of Africa is nearly one billion people!
- In many African states, more than half of the population is under the age of 25.
- Arabic is the most common language spoken in Africa.
- In the whole continent, there are over 2,000 recognized languages spoken.
- The most populated city in Africa is Cairo with a population of 17 million.
- There are at least 3,000 distinct ethnic groups/tribes in Africa.
- Four of the five fastest land animals reside in Africa, which are: the cheetah, the wildebeest, the lion, and the Thomson’s gazelle.
- Despite its wealth of natural resources, Africa is the poorest and most underdeveloped of all of the continents.
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Nice post Helena! I found it extremely interesting!
Here is some extra information that I found about some of the animals that are native to Africa:

Elephant:
-Is the largest land animal in the world today.
-There are two types of elephants that Africa is home to: the African Bush Elephant and the African Forest Elephant.
-Because of their size, elephants do not have predators in the wild.

Giraffe:
-Is a close relative to the Okapi.
-Giraffes move in loose herds in the African Savannah.
-To drink, a giraffe must spread its front legs so its head can reach the water.

Cheetah:
-On average they weigh about 50 kilograms.
-Males are larger than female cheetahs.
-The top speed for a cheetah ever recorded was at 75 mph.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum