CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS AND HIS THREE VOYAGES

Go down

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS AND HIS THREE VOYAGES

Post  HelenaD on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Christopher Columbus was a common, poor man with big dreams. He was convinced that the earth was round and beleived he could travel across the Atlantic Ocean to get to Asia. The problem was that the spice trade routes by land were blocked and taken over by Muslisms or Turks. He offered his proposed trip to many European kingdoms like Portugal, France ... to support the trip financially. Finally the Queen Isabel of Spain's accepts and signs a contract called Capitulations of Santa Fe.

Colombus left the port of Palos de Moguer on August 3 on his very first trip. People at that time thought it was ridiculous and incredible to think that the world was round and to spend so much money and time for such a big project and voyage. He had three ships -The Pinta, the Nina and the Santa Maria. With the desire to reach India, Colombus encounters with great surprise the American continent. He arrives October 12, 1492 on the island of Guanahani in the Caribbean, which he baptized San Salvador. He also encounters this magnificent continent full of Indian habitants and rich in Gold. The ships return soon afterwards to Spain with evidence of what they had found.

Of course, another trip occurs a year later. This second voyage (1493-1496) departs from Cadiz, September 24th. The navigator explored the coast of Dominica, St. María and St. María of Monseratt. Then Christopher discovers and visits Puerto Rico.

Shortly after, they go back to Spain. A third voyage takes place,(1498-1500) where they explore Trinidad and coasts of Venezuela.

Christopher Columbus:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Sources: Notes from my spanish Sociales book.

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS AND HIS THREE VOYAGES

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Columbus is described as a hero but to me he is nothing more than a conqueror such as Pizarro or Cortes. For sure he discovered America, but it was just because of a mistake. He was the one who started to abuse of the natives. If he didn't conquer populations such as the Incas or the Aztecs it does not mean that he didn't took lands that weren't his. And besides I think he knew that he didn't get to the Indies. Some say that the expedition was also made possible by the help of the Pope, who wanted new lands to expand the Catholic power.
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Nice post, Helena!

Here are some of Christopher Columbus' quotes.
I am a most noteworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvellous Presence.
Following the light of the sun, we left the Old World.
Gold is a treasure, and he who possesses it does all he wishes to in this world, and succeeds in helping souls into paradise.

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum