Cleopatra and the decline of Egypt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleopatra and the decline of Egypt

Post  martha hildreth on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Cleopatra ruled at about 51BC. She was from Macedonia and started ruling at the age of 17 and soon became one of the most powerful rulers of Egypt, making contact directly with some of the most powerful kingdoms of the world such as Rome. Some say the males where attracted to her because of her beauty, archeologists cannot tell if its true or not because they only have paintings of her but many say that she wasn’t attractive physically but her immense power and her seductive voice made the trick; I agree with this last theory because for me it seems like it has more support. Since Cleopatra was forced to have a son to take her throne she married her brother when he was 12. She had his name removed of any power and even the coins didn’t have his face on it. She soon saw that she didn’t want him by her side so with help of the romans she killed Ptolemy XIII and married the next Ptolemy XIV who was 11 yrs.; while she had an affair with Caesar from Rome. This affair caused the death of Caesar and that how Cleopatra meets Mark Antony. Mark Antony fell in love with her but married Octavia, the sister of Caesar. When Octavia found out that the power and empire of Rome might end up in hands of Cleopatra she declared war against her and Mark, which led to the suicide of both of them. This is how Rome came to rule Egypt Surprised

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleopatra and the decline of Egypt

Post  Dominique on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:41 pm

I think that Cleopatra is amazing! I love how she was so respected yet adored. I wrote a paper about Cleopatra a few months ago and I saw paintings of her, she was definitely not attractive. Maybe that was considered attractive before...
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 pm

It's interesting how Cleopatra is one of the only well-known female pharaoh's. Once I went to an art museum exhibition about Egypt, displaying their art and also mummies. There was also lots of stuff about Cleopatra, and it really interested me how back then a woman was that powerful.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum