Le Château or Palais de Versailles & Baroque

Go down

Post  HelenaD on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 pm

The Royal Palace of Versailles, located in the suburb of Paris, was a simple castle built by King Louis XII and then constructed into a rich, enormous palace during the reign of King Louis XIV of France. It still exists today. Not only it is a building but it is also composed of many large gardens that surround it. It is used as a museum now and thousands of people visit it every day to observe its beautiful gardens and rich architecture inside the palace. This grandiose palace was not only a building but also a symbol of the absolute monarchy of France.

Today, the sculptures and architecture inside the palace went through some changes but were kept the most possible to how they were before. The gardens however, are kept exactly the same as they were during the period of Louis XIV. When he took the throne, most of the gardens were unfinished plans of his grandfather so he asked for them to be all re-planted and made in the style of an English garden. An interesting fact about the indoors of the palace is that there are around 700 rooms in the whole palace, plus the Galeries des Glaces (gallery of the mirrors or crystals), which is a room filled with amazing chandeliers ornated with crystals. Through the windows of that room, light passes and through the crystals it makes a reflection of colors resembling a rainbow. In other rooms, most walls, furniture and sculptures are decorated with solid gold.

During the time of Revolution, when the townspeople were rebelling against the King because of his arrogance and mean actions towards them, they tried to overtake Versailles or try to destroy it and the King. It was very well guarded until they took the Bastille (prison, symbol of power in France too) and the King fled away from the palace. Still, they never really entered to destroy the chateau after a new ruler came to power.

This palace portrays in a way the art style of baroque in architecture(as we started learning in class). Baroque is thought as to have began in Italy but this art style actually emerged in France. It emphasizes dramatic emotions, power and wealth, uses bright strong colors… All of the big paintings and gold ornaments in Versailles show this style of art and it’s wealth expresses through it too. Louis XIV’s motive in using baroque was to show the power of the monarchy to others and the influence all of this had on the society.

I have never been inside Versailles or have visited the gardens but I have passed near it and I can tell it is immense and impressive. You can well imagine how nice the life of the King would’ve been and how it felt to have such a beautiful, rich palace.

IMAGE OF THE MAIN COURT OF THE PALACE:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

IMAGE OF PART OF THE GARDEN OF THE PALACE:
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Sources:
VERSAILLES [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
BAROQUE [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
MY KNOLEDGE AND WHAT WE HAVE STUDIED IN CLASS..

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Le Château or Palais de Versailles & Baroque

Post  Brock M. Hay on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 pm

We just learned that Baroque art is also applied in architecture; therefore, Versailles is a perfect example of a Baroque building. Huge pillars, deep design, and huge walls and structures, but you would know that yourself. DO you think that it was worth it? For Louis to leach off of the people to make this fantastic building, was it enough loss for enough gain?
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  HelenaD on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Do you think that it was worth it? For Louis to leach off of the people to make this fantastic building, was it enough loss for enough gain?

I don't have a specific answer to 'was it worth it' because i think it had its negative and positive effects. The negative effects were that constructing this didn't help for the conditions of the society which was in a pityful state. In that period of time, unfortunately, human rights didn't have the same impact as they do today in France or in the world, which is why there was a lot of inequality in society. However, the palace wasn't only built in order to put down the citizens and is today a big part of the culture of France and an impressive thing to see. King Louis XIV used it for his benefit and it was said to be normal in that period of time to have a palace for the King and a place for the upper class. This palace though, was not a simple one as the others, it was impressive in that century because it had a great value in art.

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Do you think that it was worth it? For Louis to leach off of the people to make this fantastic building, was it enough loss for enough gain?

I don't really know if it was worth it or not. From my point of view versailles is a beautiful building and i think it's also one of the 7 (new) world wonders. So from an artistic point of view i would say it is worth it. In contrast I also think that it wasn't worth it because Louis raised the taxes very much and the population couldn't afford it. So from a social and politic point of view I'd say it wasn't worth it.
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Nice post Helena!
Here are some facts I found about the Palace de Versailles:
- At first, King Louis XIII purchased the land to build a small brick and stone lodge there. Ten years later, he became the lord of Versailles, and he began to enlarge his lodge. He purchased more and more land, but he died in 1643. King Louis XIV of France took an interest in Versailles, so he moved there because of his distrust in the Parisians. He hired architect Louis Le Vau to carry out his work on a Baroque masterpiece. Louis XIV then tripled the size of the palace, making it into the Palace of Versailles, still seen today.
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum