Nicolaus Copernicus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nicolaus Copernicus

Post  maddie on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Nicolaus Copernicus was born on 19 February 1473 in the city of Toruń. He was an astronomer who had some wiled ideas for his time period. Nicolaus was the first person to formulate a comprehensive heliocentric cosmology which displaced the Earth from the center of the universe.This formulated big problems with the church. He was contradicting the churches truths. The church had calmed that the universe was centered around the Earth. They said it was contrary to the bible to believe otherwise. This put Copernicus in a rather rough spot with his ideas. He was scared to publish his final book. He was on his death bed when he finally did. His ideas are still used today in astronomers.
maddie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Nicolaus Copernicus

Post  Brock M. Hay on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Well it seems like this Copernicus was in a real Charles Darwin like situation here! To say the truth though, this one was far better off than Galileo, first having a life sentence and everything. Here is my topic question, a scientist makes discoveries and laws based on facts and what he saw or rationalized, not based off of indirect belief, but how far should a scientist go, or accuse, or suggest such things, and how far should he go to have his ideas fairly considered, I know my opinion, but what of you readers?
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:27 am

I think that any scientist who makes a discovery should not be afraid at all and share his ideas with the world. I can imagine the contrast of a very religious person that is a scientist but in my opinion, science has more realistic proves than religion. (i respect every religion and every belief, but this is my opinion, i don't mean to offend anybody nor to cause discussions!)
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Nicolaus Copernicus did many things before his discoveries, like entering the University of Cracow, where he studied painting and mathematics. Then, after graduating from the university, he took a canon's position at Frombork's cathedral. Then, in 1496 he traveled to Italy and enrolled a religious law program in the University of Bologna. After that, he went on to study practical medicine at the University of Padua, but he didn't earn his degree because he didn't finish his studies.

Nicolaus did many things before leading up to his discoveries, and I find it interesting that he did all this throughout his life. Those are a lot of things!
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Nice post, Maddie!

Here are some of Nicolaus Copernicus' most famous quotes:
"I am aware that a philosopher's ideas are not subject to the judgment of ordinary persons, because it is his endeavour to seek the truth in all things, to the extent permitted to human reason by God."

"Mathematics is written for mathematicians."

"For a traveler going from any place toward the north, that pole of the daily rotation gradually climbs higher, while the opposite pole drops down an equal amount."

"Moreover, since the sun remains stationary, whatever appears as a motion of the sun is really due rather to the motion of the earth."

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum