Hanging gardens of Babylon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hanging gardens of Babylon

Post  martha hildreth on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 pm

It was built at around 600 BC south of the Euphrates River. Since Babylon had conquered most of that part of the world, the king used his wealth to create an exotic and humongous garden sunny . Ancient Greek historians describe this place as a quadrangular garden 400 ft. wide, 400 ft. long, and 320ft high adding all the platforms together. This gardens are called “hanging gardens” because the plants hang from the sides of the platforms or brick terraces. Nebuchadnezzar married Amyities to make and alliance with Median. Since Amyities lived in a really mountainous area and Babylon according to her looked deserted and boring he made this garden. The garden had exotic flora, this plants where build above ground. The emperor king imported the plants from foreign places, some of the plants might be: pear, olive, oak, nuts, date, almond, fig, and grapevine.

These gardens also show the amazing architecture that the Babylonians had. The gardens formed a quadrilateral shape, there where stairways that conducted to the uppermost part of the gardens, the plants over the terraces were supported by columns and there were fountains that created humidity and maintained the area cool; with the help of the shade that the trees provided. There is no actual prove that this gardens existed but archeologists still debate weather or not it existed.
scratch

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Hanging gardens of Babylon

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Fascinating topic Martha! I really liked your topic because I personally love the combinations of colored flowers. I was impressed how back then, the Babylonians started to build things that were just for pleasure. For example, nowadays, we construct amusement parks, playgrounds, etc. Back then, the fact to have a humongous garden was a privilege, and for them it was just as fun to walk around the park with your family then to go to the movies with your friends. I can relate to this post because my grandmother lived near one of the biggest parks of Paris called "les buttes de chaumont". This park has thousands of different varieties of flowers, and the combination of the flowers was just beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if the babylonians actually did create those hanging flower park, because they were very intelligent and had good architecture skills! Anyways, good job, keep it up!! thumbs up bananarama congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I really loved this topic Martha! I didn't know that Babylonia was built around the Euphrates River. I wonder why he made this giant garden. What was it's actual purpose? It sounds like a beautiful place to be. It sounds like a lot of work though to build. Imagine how hard it was for them to make that garden! It probably took a long time before all the plants grew in. I wonder if it actually existed or if it is a myth. I think they will find some evidence that it did exist though because I don't think they would make it up! Very Happy
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

http://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: