NEW POLICIES DURING CROMWELL'S POWER

Go down

NEW POLICIES DURING CROMWELL'S POWER

Post  HelenaD on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 pm

OLIVER CROMWELL

When King Charles I was executed, the nation was said to be a Commonwealth governement by the House of Lords. This system of governemnt was like a form of democracy. Oliver Crowmwell, leader of the New Model Army, took control of Englad after the king's death, After he got rid of the parliament, Cromwell imposed a military dictatorship even though he really didn;t realize he had. He enforced the army and strengthened England's navy. He also united Scotland and ireland under the rule of England. Oliver Cromwell was a very religious man and his beleifs were applied strongly during his power.

When he came to power many new rules were applied in terms of religious themes. Sunday, the Holy Day, for example was changed to be a day of no work. If anyone was caught working on that day, they would be punished or imprisoned. The only that had to be done that day was going to Church. Women, did not work at home like usual, and if they were caught even going for a walk, they would be punished unless it was to go to Church. The form of dressing changed too. Women had to wear long dresses, that were not colorful and cover most of the body's skin. Men too had to have long clothing and they had to have their hair cut short. Christmas was abolished too. To him, it was a bad to celebrate making parties, when the real thing to do was honoring Christ other ways, like going to the church for example. He said Christmas had no real biblical justification. The press also had limited rights to talk about current events and things Cromwell said or applied. They would be punished if any information not supposed to be given was given out.

sources: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW POLICIES DURING CROMWELL'S POWER

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Here are some interesting quotes by Oliver Cromwell that are still remembered today:
-To Parliament in 1654:
“i was by birth a gentleman, living neither in any considerable height, nor yet in obscurity. I have been called to several employments in the nation-to serve in parliaments,-and ( because i would not be over tedious ) i did endevour to discharge the duty of an honest man in those services, to god, and his people’s interest, and of the commonwealth; having, when time was, a competent acceptation in the hearts of men, and some evidence thereof.”

-Just Before the Battle of Naseby in 1645:
“i could not riding out alone about my business, but smile out to god in praises, in assurance of victory because god would, by things that are not, bring to naught things that are”.

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum