Oliver Cromwell

Go down

Oliver Cromwell

Post  NellieBennett on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Oliver Cromwell was the leader of the cavaliers. He executed Charles I and was also Charles' strongest critic. Oliver started the revolution, and defeated the royalists and Charles was captured, he was the one that Charles I should be put to death. When parliament hesitated, he broke up the parliament and selected those who were willing to eliminate the Tyrant. The new parliament was now much reduced to as low as fifty members. But, with the lowed rate it would now, at last, agree to the trial of Charles I. This was called the rump parliament, and it would have the dubious honor of trying and executing a king. There had never been a formal trial of a king. Of course, there had always been assassinations, but a trial before hand. The trial was held and Charles was found Guilty of treason. Finally, he was executed in 1649. His wage and children had soon fled to France. Oliver Cromwell was finally able to be crowned king and get what he wanted.

NellieBennett
Newcomer
Newcomer

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Nice post Nellie! Smile
Here are some facts I found out about Oliver Cromwell:
- Oliver Cromwell was extremely religious.
- He was one of the most important figures in British history.
- His parents were both Protestants.
- Despite the opposition in his council, Cromwell decided to let Jews settle in England.
- He was often cruel, but he did make some good contributions to England.
- He had five sons and four daughters.
- He killed the people of Drogheda and Wexford.
- Cromwell died on September 3rd, at the age of 59 due to malaria.
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Nice post Nellie!
Oliver Cromwell was an extremely interesting man. At first, i think he looked like a hero to all of the cavaliers, or people who followed Parliament, but then slowly became a violent and untrustworthy man. After killing king Charles I, he declared himself Lord Protector of England and Scotland. Who just declares themselves Lord Protector? He must have been extremely full of himself... Anyway, he then declared England a commonwealth, which is a special form of republic. Once this happened Cromwell found it very hard to deal with the Rump Parliament, so he broke it down. Let's get this straight here: the one person who was most determined to beat the royalists because of his loyalty to Parliament, now destroys it??? In my eyes, he is not trustworthy, and honestly, I would not want a man like that in power.

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  KaylaNicole on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 am

More interesting facts about Oliver Cromwell:
1. Oliver Cromwell was born on April 25, 1599, in Huntingdon, eastern England
2. Oliver Cromwell died on September 3 at the age of 59 in 1658 due to malaria.
3. Oliver Cromwell was extremely religious.
4. Oliver Cromwell overthrew King Charles I and then became just like him.
5. Despite opposition from his council, Oliver Cromwell allowed Jews to settle in England, for the first time since 1290, almost 400 years before.
6. Oliver Cromwell had five sons and four daughters with a woman he married out of convenience.
7. Oliver Cromwell was one of the most important figures in British history.
8. Oliver Cromwell' s parents were both Protestants.
9. Oliver Cromwell signed the death warrant of King Charles I.
10. Oliver Cromwell was often cruel and tyrannical but he made many contributions to England.

KaylaNicole
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum