sleeping beauty illness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sleeping beauty illness

Post  martha hildreth on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Louis Ball is 15-year-old girl who was diagnosed with an illness called sleeping beauty. This illness doesn’t have a remedy yet, but some Stanford doctors are getting together to see if they can find a solution. Dr. Mignot said: “We think that some people are genetically predisposed to having an infection that then doesn’t clear up and seems to relapse regularly, and that gives the symptoms of sleeping all the time for days at a time,” No

This illness lasts for eight to twelve years and life is a blur between that period of time. The longest that Louis had fallen asleep for was thirteen days and she was forced awake because she had to eat and go to the bathroom but when she’s wakened she can barely open her eyelids. Louis’s friends fill her in when she’s awake but it’s really hard to catch up with homework, right now she is living a really tough life. Her friends and herself have found a way to anticipate it, when she stops talking or she irritates really easily she knows that its time to go home and go to bed. It has turned out that this illness is scientifically called Kleine-Levin Syndrome and around a thousand people in the whole world have it, and they first started with the symptoms of a normal flu Surprised

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: sleeping beauty illness

Post  Minu Sadeghi on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm

I have never heard of this illness, Martha. Super interesting.
THIRTEEN DAYS OF SLEEPING!? That is insane. How can someone go thirteen days without eating or going to the bathroom or drinking water? Although I would love to sleep that much, it really doesn't sound like a fun illness. I cannot imagine how hard life is, everything being a blur and missing out on so much of your life. The name really makes sense! I love you

Nice topic!
Minu Sadeghi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  laraschembrisant on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:48 am

I love to sleep, but I can't imagine sleeping for 13 days in a row and having everything around you blury, like you never existed. This is horrible and I can't imagine how this feels like.
Nice topic Martha

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Tati.Suriel on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 pm

wow, that would be so scary! Can you imagine finding out that you have been diagnosed with this illness? I love sleeping, but I could never imagine this. You probably have no energy and don't want to do much. You would miss out so much on your social life and I can't imagine how you would handle school work. You would not be able to do much work without getting too tired. Most people go to the bathroom at least 3 times a day. I cannot imagine not going for 13 days. Wow, that sounds like the complete opposite of heaven Wink
Tati.Suriel
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 pm

That's such a weird illness! Most teenagers at this day and age are said to not get enough sleep. It's sad that her sleeping beauty illness, which sounds nicer than it is, it slowing down her life socially and educationally. It's pretty scary how there are still a lot of rare illnesses which no one has found a cure for yet! I hope for this girl that the find a cure soon. Neutral
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Wow martha, I though you were kidding! This is such a weird and rare illness! I have never heard about it.. I cannot imagine how she can sleep for that long! I am a little confused, because do you think that she was born like that, or that it was caused because she had a lot going on in her life? I can relate to this topic, because my great grandmother had something similar when she lost her husband.. She would fall asleep in the middle of conversations, while eating, and she would wake up several times at night, thinking that it was the morning.. The doctors have said that it is caused when the person does not want to show their feelings, so they tend to sleep, to attract attention or just to forget about everything... Anyways I hope they find a cure for that poor girl! Great topic Martha, keep it up! thumbs up bananarama congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Sleeping Beauty

Post  Isiah Smith on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 pm

I found this topic very interesting and weird at the same time. The weird part is how they call it the sleeping beauty illness, why would they call it that? If i had this illness, i would not want to be called sleeping beauty, also, it doesn't make sense if a really ugly guy has it, how would he be considered a SLEEPING BEAUTY? Anyway, i thought that this was a very original post, i wonder how you came across the idea. I've never, in my 14 years of living on this planet, heard of that illness. All i know is that you wouldn't ever feel tired in the morning after sleeping for two weeks. Great work Martha, keep it up! congratulations thumbs up
Isiah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:59 am

What on earth?! That is the weirdest thing I've heard! It is probably very unfortunate to have this sickness. Sometimes I only miss one day of school and I'm already stressed out, I cannot imagine missing more than a week because of SLEEP. Did they wake Louis up every day to feed her and let her go the bathroom or only on the thirteenth day?
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum