Who invented the Periodic Table?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who invented the Periodic Table?

Post  Ulises De Leon on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev was a Russian chemist and inventor. He is known for as being the creator of the first version of the periodic table of elements. Using the table, he predicted the properties of elements yet to be discovered.
Mendeleev was born 8 February 1834 in the village of Verkhnie Aremzyani, near Siberia in Russia His father was Ivan Mendeleev and his mother was Maria Mendeleev. He was the youngest of his 11 siblings. Later on in his life he became a scientist of Chemistry and Physics.
In 1863 there were 56 known elements with a new element being discovered approximately one per year. As he attempted to classify the elements according to their chemical properties, he noticed patterns that led him to make his periodic table in a way that everyone could understand. Even though he invented such a useful thing for chemistry the concept was criticized and was not recognized by the Society of Chemists until 1887. Mendeleev made a presentation to the Russian Chemical Society, entitled the dependence between the Properties of the Atomic Weights of the Elements, which described elements according to both atomic weight and valence. After his successful presentation more and more chemistry scientists in Russia started to use his periodic table. The periodic table became so useful that people all over the world used it.

Ulises De Leon
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 22

Back to top Go down

Your topic

Post  Dominique on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Wow! Great job! I think that this man was very smart to be able to do such a thing. Imagine how many years of experimenting it took JUST to notice the pattern between the elements. I wonder how he figured this pattern out. Did he use special equipment? Obviously, but I do want to know exactly what TYPE of equipments. Also, how did he come up with the remarkable idea to create a table and identify each element? Shocked

Keep up the good work Uli! bananarama afro

Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Who invented the Periodic Table?

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Wow Ulises, great Job! I can thank Mendeleev for making such a useful tool for science, because we use it very often in science class. Anyways, what do you think made him come up with a periodic table? Also, it's strange the fact that the Society of Chemists did not accept his work, even though it was a great invention! He must have been very intelligent!! Anyways, great job Ulilo, Keep it up! thumbs up bananarama congratulations

Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Coutu on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Wow Ulises, great topic. The periodic table is a huge contribution to chemistry. This man is incredibly inteligent to have thought of an organized way to show all of the elements and their properties. I mean, I remember the first time Mr. Maracle began to teach us about chemistry and the basic things seemed impossible to learn. Even now, at times I have trouble soaking in all the information. Great topic.

Brian Coutu
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ignacio Sainz on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:10 pm

WOW! great topic! I thank Mendeleeve becuse like lou said, if it wasn't because of him, science would be much more difficult. It is also very strange that they didn't want to accept his ivention because it was a great invention. Science would be much more different without him. I even wonder what we would bedoing in science right now the periodic table didn't exist.
Good topic and Good job thumbs up

Ignacio Sainz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating: 9

Back to top Go down

Response

Post  Samuelvela on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Wow having that person create the periodic table made a huge impact on modern day science. I doubt we would be this advance if we didn't have it. Anyways good post!

Samuelvela
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  laraschembrisant on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

To achieve something that big at that time was a great achievement we still use today.
Did you know that up to this point in time, we have discovered/created over 120. While there may be more out there to discover, the basic elements remain the same. Iron (Fe) atoms found on Earth are identical to iron atoms found on meteorites. The iron atoms on Mars that make the soil red are the same too.

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 25

Back to top Go down

Periodic Table

Post  Katrina Girard on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I cant imagine if he never would have invented the periodic table... He must have REALLY loved science in order to dedicate sooooooooo much of his time to invent the periodic table. He was probably a man that never gave up!

Katrina Girard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Student Rating: 3

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum