Algeria

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Algeria

Post  martha hildreth on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm

The Sahara covers all of Algeria south of the Atlas Mountains. Since there are a lot of desserts in Algeria and water is short in supply, more that 90% of Algerians live near the coast, where the weather is milder than in the Sahara. Algeria’s Mediterranean coast, it’s mountains, and it’s great desert lands are all part of the country’s rich history. Its Mediterranean location provides easy access to the market of Europe. Algeria has also participated in trade with other parts of Africa for hundreds of years. Because of its location and resources, Algeria has been a treasure both to its people and to foreign invaders.

The earlier invaders where Phoenicians, who were sea traders from the region of present-day Lebanon. With help from the Barbers, a North African ethnic group, the Phoenicians set up a trading post on the site of Algiers. Today Algiers is the capitol of Algeria. In 100 ac the romans invaded Algeria, Berber farmers paid roman taxes in grain and rented their land from roman nobles. The Arabs conquered North Africa gradually, over hundreds of years. As a result, the Berber way of life began to change. sunny

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Algeria

Post  laraschembrisant on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Standing at 3003 m, or 9852 ft, Tahat can be found in the Ahaggar mountain range. The Ahaggar mountain range can be found in the central Saharan area with the larger Atlas mountain range south of Algeria. The land is made up mostly of high plateau and desert, mountains, and coastal plains. However, there is just under 1000km of coastline in the north along the Mediterranean Sea.
To the northeast is Tunisia, Libya to the east, Niger to the southeast, Mali and Mauritania to the southwest and Morocco to the west. There is also a small border with the Non-Self-Governing Territory of Western Sahara. I have always loved to visit Algeriaa.

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  ritalulo on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks to the Greeks we have a very advanced mathematical system. Without pythagoras we would have the pythagoras theorem, and easy way out, out if distance formula. Much of Astronomy and scientifical things wouldnt have been discoverd!

ritalulo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Algeria

Post  Isiah Smith on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Great topic Martha, i really enjoyed reading what you wrote about this amazing country. What made you chose to write about Algeria? I never really hear much about Algeria but i would love to visit one day in the near future. Have you ever been to Algeria? It seems like a very interesting place to visit and your topic has taught me so much about Algeria that i never knew before. Keep it up! Very Happy
Isiah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum