IV vs IIII

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IV vs IIII

Post  Nastiaknd on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Roman number four - IV, were finally recorded like «IV» only in the XIX century, the Romans always wrote it as «IIII». The thing is that the Romans could not afford to write four as IV, because for them this was a sign of the symbol of the god Jupiter, whose name was written as IVPPITER. In the Middle Ages, we could find the usual spelling of this figure, however, «llll» were more popular than «IV». Interestingly, the clock with Roman numerals, used mostly traditional «IIII», maybe because of aesthetic reasons, or because of the habit.
Nastiaknd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Your topic

Post  Dominique on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 am

Wow! I never knew that. I wonder why the people didn't want to name it IV because it was part of Jupiter's name. Although it would have been WAY more simpler if four was just IIII. It's easier to remember and it is a bit more obvious than IV. How did they end up with IV as the final classification for four? Maybe because they wanted a pattern? And the numbers after this would be shorter. Hence the fact that IIII takes up four characters when IV only takes up two. Keep up the good work! bananarama afro
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: IV vs IIII

Post  martha hildreth on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 pm

woooow that is awesome! I had no idea and I have always wondered that like why isn't it IIII but I really like this topic and I'll investigate more about it to see why they changed it but with this we can see how religious they where because I they weren't then they wouldn't care if it was the same as their god.

really enjoyed it seriously! congratulations

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: IV vs IIII

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: