The very first pyramid in Egypt

Go down

The very first pyramid in Egypt

Post  Jordan Wahba on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

The very first pyramid in Egypt was built for King Zoser in approximently 2650 B.C. It is know as a Step-Pyramid because it does not have a true pyramid shape but it rises to the top in five giant steps. This pyramid was HUGE, it is over twenty times the new physical education building at our school! The step pyramid is basically five Mastabas. They are all on top of each other getting smaller when they reach to the top of the pyramid. They put the pyramid the shape it is because they believed that the body or spirit of the king would be transferred to the next life safely. The pyramid was built in Saqqara, necropolis in Egypt. They believe the pyramid was two hundred and three feet tall when it was first built. It was built using white limestone so it can last very long. King Zoser was king for nineteen years. He was the king of the first or second dynasty of the Egyptian Old Kingdom. Tradition said that King Zoser built his tomb himself until he died. Scientists says that the pyramid was the largest building in the world of its time! The thing that caught my eye while I was researching this topic was that the pyramid goes very deep underground and it was the first pyramid with traps so that people couldn't steal the mummy of the king or his belongings.
Jordan Wahba
Jordan Wahba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The very first pyramid in Egypt

Post  Samuel Hebert on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm

hey, great topic, you are lucky to be able to go see the pyramids. it would be interesting to go see the pyramids and walk in them, but i would be scared to go in a booby trap. i still don't get how did they do them, i feel bad for those slaves that worked all day in the sun to build these. how did they know that limestone was strong stone that wouldn't erode Question
Samuel Hebert
Samuel Hebert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Nice topic Jordan! Keep up the good work! Who is King Zoser? How come we never really hear about him in history like we do Cleopatra and King Tut? I can imagine how big it is by the way you describe it, nice job! But how come his pyramid is so big? You must be really excited to go and see the pyramids, that sounds so cool! But aren't you afraid to get caught in booby traps? alien
Maya Luisa
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Coutu on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Thats really cool Jordan. And what really impressed me was the fact that the first Pyramid was the biggest building in it time, according to Scientist. What is really cool too, is that I did some research on the evolution of the Pyramid and it went through many changes before it took on the shape we are used to seeing. As you said the very first had steps, and they went on advancing and had smother faces. You are very lucky to have had the opportunity to go to Egypt. It's definately something I'd look foward to doing the future.
Brian Coutu
Brian Coutu
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum