RENAISSANCE ART MASTERS

Go down

RENAISSANCE ART MASTERS

Post  HelenaD on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Renaissance Art Masters

The renaissance was a period marked by the rebirth of humanism, and the revival of cultural achievements in all forms of art. In this time, artists and musicians produced works that displayed more artistic freedom and individualism. New artists rose, and created many new thing such as paintings, sculptures, literary books, styles of building, music, ideas, inventions…

Most renasissance masters or inventors were Italians because renaissance started in Italy. One of them was Leonardo Da Vinci, a famous artist, scientist, musician, inventor, and visionary. He tried to capture the perfection in nature. He drew on his notebook, such as the Vitruvian man, which studied proportions of the human being. Another very important piece he created was the portrait of the Mona Lisa , in the 16th century, which is in our days still the most famous portrait and also the most parodied portrait . He also made many models or plans on flying machines. One of them, in fact, resembled the helicopter.

Another very recognized master of the renaissance was Michelangelo Buonarroti. Accomplished painter, sculptor, architect, and poet, his most famous piece of art is his paintings of the Genesis on the ceilings of The Sistine Chapel in Rome. Michelangelo also created the statue of David in 1504. It was meant to be a reflection of divine beauty of a man . As an architect he designed the Laurentian Library in Florence, that was attached to the church of San Lorenzo. He produced new styles such as pilasters, which were pillars, thinner at the bottom, and a staircase with contrasting rectangular and curving forms.

Jean Fouquet was French, compared to the two first Italian artists I talked about. He was a very styled painter that made portrait miniature. Something else he did was manuscript illumination. Manuscript illumination was a manuscript in which a text is supplemented by the addition of decoration, such as decorated initials or borders. They were called “illuminated” manuscripts because they were usually decorated with gold or silver. In his paintings, he did one that is called the “Arrival of the crusaders at Constantinople”. Below, you can see his piece.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

In conclusion, there are much more artists that appeared during the renaissance, than Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo Buorranoti, and Jean Fouquet. Other masters created very important pieces of art, architect works, and scientific studies, too. Many revolutionized art in the world, and many were the first discoveries of things that we use today. Important ideas and philosophies in that time contributed to science, government styles, art, and medicine.

QUESTION: If you are from Europe, is there any master you know from your country that I have not talked about and who is it? If you are not form Europe, have you heard of any renaissance master before?

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: RENAISSANCE ART MASTERS

Post  Alex Galluzzi on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Hello Smile
I'm from Italy, and most of the artists, authors, writers and inventors come from there, that's why i'm so smart. By the way Dante Alighieri was and I think is one of the most famous and one of the best writers of all time. He wrote the first whole book about a story in latin, and in every school in Europe people still study about him!
Alex Galluzzi
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

RE: RENAISSANCE ART MASTERS

Post  KaylaNicole on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm not from Europe sadly, but I have heard some Renaissance masters. I believe we have discussed a few in class before. But overall Helena great post! I wish I can add more to this, but you have provide us many information and details.

KaylaNicole
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not from Europe, but I do know some Renaissance masters, such as Leonardo DaVinci, and Michelangelo. I know Leonardo because of his painting, Mona Lisa, and I think that it is a very beautiful painting, although I really want to know the history behind this painting. I also know Michelangelo because I believe we've talked about him in Art class once before. He is known because he was a famous sculptor, painter, architect, and poet. I think one of his most famous paintings are the ones on the ceiling of Sistine Chapel in Rome.

AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Like Alessio said, Dante Alighieri was a great italian renaissance master. His most known masterpiece is the Divine Comedy. In this book divided in 3 sections, (hell, purgatory, and paradise) Dante talks about the travel that the soul takes after death. This book was written in vernacular italian language, not in latin; I guess that's why it is so well known all over the world. When I was in middle school, we went over the whole book and most important passages. I can say that the vernacular language from that time is very similar to the actual italian. I think Dante is great because he wrote the Divine Comedy...but there is something you don't know...Dante wrote this huge book in prose. This means that every single line rimed with an other line! affraid NOT AN EASY JOB!!!!!

Here are the first lines of the poem, that are studied by memory in every italian school:

« Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
ché la diritta via era smarrita.

Ahi quanto a dir qual era è cosa dura,
esta selva selvaggia e aspra e forte,
che nel pensier rinova la paura!

Tant'è amara che poco è più morte;
ma per trattar del bene ch'i' vi trovai,
dirò de l'altre cose ch'i' v'ho scorte.

Io non so ben ridir com'i' v'intrai,
tant'era pien di sonno a quel punto
che la verace via abbandonai.