Great Wall of China

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great Wall of China

Post  martha hildreth on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of China, built the Great Wall of China over 2,000 years ago. The great Wall measures about 21,196 km with all the branches; this wall stretches from Shanhaiguan, to lop lake, along an arc that passes through Inner Mongolia, it was first built out of stones, wood, tiles, lime and then used bricks in some areas of the wall later on to fortify the areas. The wall was composed by countless asses, watchtowers, garrison towns, beacon towers and blockhouses, there fortifications where organized by the military commands.

The Great Wall of China has an important significance in culture because of the many stories told and believed about the construction and they have spread around the country. The Meng Jiangnu’s story is the most know and it started to spread since the construction of the wall and has been the most known by far. This story tells how Meng Jiangnu made a section of the wall collapse, it says that her husband was caught and sent to build the wall and when she didn’t see him at home she started looking for him and found out that he had already died so she cried and cried and of all the crying part of the wall collapsed. This stories help keep Chinese history and culture alive.

Some scientists say that the Great Wall of China can be visible from the moon. Noran wrote that apart of its age it might be the only figure created by humans that are visible from the moon. Others debate that because the wall is the same color of the soil surrounding it, and based on the optics of resolving power an object can be viewed if it has a reasonable contrast to its surroundings. These scientists say that the great wall would be viewed as a hair from two miles away. But what has been proved is that it is visible from the low earth orbital. The NASSA said that it is barely visible and under nearly perfect conditions, but this is another theme that scientists are arguing.

martha hildreth
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Great Wall of China

Post  Ulises De Leon on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm

It's CRAZY how long the Great Wall of China is and the fact you can see it from outerspace. I bet it took a very long time to make it. I heard it took hundreds of years. I find it really cool that there are so many great stories that come from the Wall. Nice Topic! congratulations
Ulises De Leon
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Rita Lulo on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm

wow! thats a wonderful topic I really liked how you explained every detail and how you talked a little about everything in it! I think it an awesome topic because you can debate it if either you see it from outer space or not! I also found out that the wall was not built as a whole wall from the beginning, it was build in several segments by various dynasties to protect the northern part of china and that some temples where built along the wall to worship the god of war.

Awesome topic Martha loved it!!! congratulations afro

Rita Lulo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Ignacio Sainz on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow! it is amazing how you can see the great wall of china from outer space. Do you know when they built it? I also found out that in the great wall there are body parts of the people who built the great wall. I also liked the way you described why and how they made the wall. Your topic was very interesting. Good Job! thumbs up

Ignacio Sainz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Minu Sadeghi on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Love the topic, Martha! tongue
I always found the Great Wall of China to be amazing. The fact that you can see it from outer space is already overwhelming. Although it's a bit disturbing, I find it cool that the bodies of those who had died while building the wall were put into the wall. cat
Minu Sadeghi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel Hebert on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm

awesome topic. wow it is amazing how the great wall of china was to avoid people from other territory's to come in and today it is the most populated country full of factory's that serve us today.i don't know way they didn't want any contact with other people to at least get some ideas and trade culture. the great wall was built in 220-206b.c with a giant population, if china would have a big population like this i think china would of finished the wall like in A.c. Razz congratulations afro
Samuel Hebert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum