Studying for the exams

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Studying for the exams

Post  Brock M. Hay on Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 am

Since I am so wonderful, I decided to put my answers and ideas based on the key concepts from Mr. Fisher's exam study guide so that while you are doing your blog responses you can also study for exams at the same time, multitasking! With this I am going to begin with chapter six, Roman empire, and I will cover the vocab as well.
VOCAB

Republic: A government that is ran buy a senate of officials voted by the people, to avoid centralized government. In Rome the senate is typically ran by three hundred people of the Patrician social class.

Empire: A nation that is ran by one all powerful ruler and the nation looks to expand its borders and power.

Dictator: A ruler with total complete power to do whatever the dictator wishes.

Imperialism: Establishing control between neighboring nations by establishing power between them, typically with force.

Census: A population count. Yes a three letter definition deal with it.

Mercenary: A soldier who is paid to do militaristic duties. Typically foreign and not loyal leading to issues.

Plebeian: A Roman citizen of the poverty class, consisting of farmers, merchants, artisans, and traders.

Bread and Circuses: Roman entertainment, usually consisting mainly with chariot races in the famous and gladiator battles.

CONCEPTS

a. Major characteristics of government and society in the Roman Republic
The Roman Republic is ran by a senate, voting and debating over decisions for the nation. there were three hundred spaces for a senator, when a senator one would be a senator for life. Each year two senators would be elected to be consuls, or senators in charge to supervise business and lead armies. The plebeian class also has some say in politics, they would elect tribunes. Tribunes were officials who argued and cared for the plebeian class and rights.

b. Reasons behind Rome's transition from republic to empire
The transfiguration from Republic to empire came as a result of the Punic wars. After the Punic wars the Roman nation had expanded very far, controlling Spain, Northern African coasts, and complete Mediterranean control, also the regions of Gaul were being taken. Julius Caesar, the legion leader responsible for taking Gaul was famous and loved by Romans. So much, that the Republic was afraid that he was getting too much power, so they commanded Caesar to disband his army and return to the city of Rome. This began a civil war, some wanting Caesar's rule, others for the Republic. After defeating all rebels around the Mediterranean he had his successful rule. He was the first emperor, and slowly with new rulers after him like Agustus Caesar, Rome transferred into a empire.

c. Causes/effects of the three Punic Wars
This could simply take an entire blog post to talk about, so this will just be bullet form. 1st Punic war cause-Rome wanted islands Sardina, Corsica, and Sicily also for grain supply-effect-Romans gained these three islands, more trade control, wealth, and a bad grudge from Carthage-2nd Punic war cause-Hannibal's blood oath/pressure of two extremely huge competing empires-result-Carthage lost lots of land/money/wealth/ Roman total Mediterranean control/Roman grudge-cause of third Punic war-Roman revenge/preemptive attack-result-scorched earth policy/ no more Carthage/ Rome soon become an empire with supreme success.

d. Rome's policy towards different religions in the empire
Rome was perfectly tolerant of citizens believing in anything they want, if they put their first allegence to Roman gods and the Roman emperor. This was difficult for some hardcore monotheistic zealots like some of the Jews.

e. Reasons behind the decline and fall of the Roman empire
Many reasons broadened to economic, political, military,and social, they were being attacked far too much by barbarians that were chased off by the Huns, Visigoth attacks also contributed. Population decreased due to crop failure which means army decreased which caused use of mercenaries. This caused lapse of economy on top of less people, with crop failures not helping either. The nation was also divided between east and west which ended up badly in the long term.

f. Influential political and religious leaders of the time (Augustus Caesar, Julius Caesar, Hannibal, Jesus and his disciples, Constantine, Diocletian, Attila the Hun)
once again in point form; Augustus was the one who lead Rome to an empire, Julius was first emperor, Hannibal was the Carthage general of second Punic war with revolutionary militaristic strategy, Jesus is given, lead of an entirely new religion that would soon be very powerful, Constantine converted to Christianity, Diocletian split Rome in two, Atilla took Europe into chaos indirectly asisting the Roman decline.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Studying for the exams

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Sat May 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Waow Brock! Amazing post!!! Now I guess I won't go to Mr. Fisher's class after school on Wednesday ! (Just kidding, I am going cyclops )
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum