Strange cures for the Black Plague

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strange cures for the Black Plague

Post  HayleyGrice on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 am

In the time of the Black Plague, people came up with many reasons as to why it was occurring. Some thought it was a punishment from God, and in order to resolve it tried repenting their sins by going to the church or whipping themselves. Once they realized these actions weren’t doing anything they lost their faith in the church and in God because they couldn’t understand why this horrible event was happening. So once the people lost their faith in God they turned to other “religions” or no religion at all. They started toying with witchcraft and wizardry to try and cure the horrible disease. They came up with very strange cures. Some of the cures were sensible enough, like cutting the buboes open and drawing out the black liquid since that sometimes saved the person. Other cures however were just silly. Some believed that if they placed a hen near the wound it would draw out the pestilence and to recover they had to drink their own urine two times a day. Another “cure” was to wash the person with vinegar and rose water every day. Another thought about the Black Plague was that cats had something to do with it. People in those times had superstitions about cats for a long time before the Black Plague but when they had nothing else to blame the people started thinking that cats the cats were associated with the devil and they were the reason for the black plague. So, in order to stop the plague they persecuted cats, however all this did was eliminate a predator for rats which were carriers for the disease. When the people who were experiencing the Black Plague couldn’t figure out what was causing it, they started coming up with strange ideas as to how they could stop it and how it was being caused.
1. Do you know of any other strange cures that people came up with?

HayleyGrice
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating: 2

Back to top Go down

Cures for the Black Plague

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 pm

I really enjoyed reading your blog post, Hayley. There really were some strange cures, weren't there??? LOL

Here are some of the weirdest:
- repenting their sins by going to the church or whipping themselves
- witchcraft and wizardry
- cutting the buboes open and drawing out the black liquid since that sometimes saved the person
- placing a hen near the wound it would draw out the pestilence and to recover they had to drink their own urine two times a day
- wash the person with vinegar and rose water every day
- there were superstitions about cats for a long time before the Black Plague but when they had nothing else to blame, the people started thinking that cats were associated with the devil and they were the reason for the Black Plague.

Thanks for the great post! Very Happy

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Cures for the Black Plague

Post  KaylaNicole on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Haha great post, i enjoyed it Smile and No I don't know any other cures, but I would like to know some, that should be your next blog topic Very Happy

KaylaNicole
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange Cures for the Black Plague

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun May 20, 2012 9:58 am

Nice post Hayley! Smile Here are some of the strangest cures I found:
- Put the victim to bed and bathe them with vinegar and rose water.
- Cut open the veins leading to the heart. An ointment of clay and violets should be applied to the cuts.
- Eating the organs of frogs.
- Shaving a chicken and pressing it to their armpits.
- Holding a frog or toad to the lumps on their armpits.
- People had to eat bread, fruit and vegetables instead of meats, cheese, and fish.

AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange cures for the Black Plague

Post  Brock M. Hay on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:30 pm

I do know that the Jewish communities were blamed by many people, they claimed that the Jews had poisoned the water. This caused much crime against the Jewish population, resulting in their migration even farther east to Eastern Europe. These ridiculous beliefs regarding the bubonic plague is a perfect example of how people would react to disasters without the knowledge of modern science.

Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange cures for the Black Plague

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Really nice topic Hayley and really interesting reply you guys... but if you guys want my opinion, I'd rather die of plague than eat the organs of a frog. alien

LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum