The History of Aviation: The Wright Brothers

Go down

The History of Aviation: The Wright Brothers

Post  Brandon H. on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 pm

The wright brothers were born in the late 1800s. Wilbur Wright was born in April, 1867 and Orville Wright in August, 1871. They made the first heavier-than-air, engined, manned flight. They grew up together very harmoniously, and then had a business together from 1893 on, they owned a bycycle shop, where they would later get many of their tools. Their lives and feats mostley took place in Daytown, Ohio. A place with historical relevance now.

They were actually getting very wealthy. This was how they managed to afford all this random equiptment. Between the years 1899 and 1905, many aviation achievements took place, on their behalf. In 1899, they learned about aeronautics, and got interested in a little science project. In 1900, they flew a glider in Kitty Hawk. It didn`t quite work, but they did start to learn about how they need a great curvature to the wing to produce lift.

They came back a year later, sure that their time of success was here. Their new design was very large, and had a very fixed wing design. It did not work either, their was not enough lift nor thrust to counteract with the other forces of flight, weight and drag. Back to the drawing board.

They had learned enough to build an actual plane by now, but they wanted to still master the glider first. So with the 1903 edition we have a very much better working wright brother glider. On this they would have an engine added along with a person strapped on top, one of them. They were ready to fly.

Now we have our first flight ever! At Kitty Hawk, a plane bouced on the runway, only eventually getting about six feet off the ground, but they had done it. By 1905 they were making thiry minute flights and turing. They stated that they had achieved their goal and that the age of the flying machines had come. Now flying in and around cities, they could relax a little.

Orville died of a heart attack in 1948, I#m not sure on Wilbur. A fact I didn,t know previously to my refreshing study is that Wilbur did the flying and most work, Orville hid under his brothers reputation. Interesting. Oh well thanks for reading.

Brandon H.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

History of Aviation

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:15 am

Great job on this post, it is super interesting and i learned a lot of new things! Keep on doing these types of blogs, please!

Here are the things that i learned and thought were cool:
-The wright brothers were born in the late 1800s.
-Wilbur Wright was born in April, 1867 and Orville Wright in August, 1871.
-They made the first heavier-than-air, engined, manned flight.
-Their lives and feats mostly took place in Daytown, Ohio.
-In 1899, they learned about aeronautics.
-In 1900, they flew a glider in Kitty Hawk -- isn't Kitty Hawk where Maddie comes from??? Smile
-At Kitty Hawk, a plane bouced on the runway, only eventually getting about six feet off the ground, but they had done it.
-By 1905 they were making thiry minute flights.
-Orville died of a heart attack in 1948.

Very Happy

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: The Wright Brothers

Post  AnaMartinez on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Awesome post Brandon! Here are some things I learned after reading this:
- Wilbur and Orvillle made the first heavier-than-air, engined, manned flight.
- They owned a bycycle shop, where they would later get many of their tools.
- Between the years 1899 and 1905, many aviation achievements took place, on their behalf.
- In 1900, they flew a glider in Kitty Hawk, but it didn't work.
AnaMartinez
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: The History of Aviation: The Wright Brothers

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum