Journal entries, the life of a yong Knight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Journal entries, the life of a yong Knight

Post  Brock M. Hay on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks to Mr.Fisher's suggestion that a blog topic could well be the journal entry of a knight in training, I have no problem chosing a topic to do today. I am going to write multipole entires, probably three at least to pinpoint various parts of the youth's life in training. Lets begin with a page, age seven, a few months after being taken from his manor into training.

age 7, January 9th 958 AD
Life has changed more than I could possibly imagine, I still think of my home, how different it is. After a small ceremony in my church with about a dozen more like me, I was sent away from my manor, from the river, and forest that I lived by. The manor here is enormous compared to the manor where I used to live, I live in the same quarters with many other kids. The serfs take care of us, they are much more rude than the serfs back home which I always used to play with. The preist is a very smart man, he teaches us Latin, History, and many skills for smart people, most of all we study the bible. It is kind of funny the stories they tell, but I can't say that out loud, for innocent Richardson said it sounded like an intriuging fairytale, and he was whipped brutally by the priest. Yes, the beatings, we have learned maners and obedience well becuase of it. The lord who owns this gigantic fief is barely seen, I saw him once, in a hallway entering his quarters. He is always gone doing whatever he does. I am not sure what is going on myself, I am told that I am training to be a knight but what do knights even do? Do they save princesses from dragons, like the fairy tales say so? Many of the other kids hate it hear, they want to go home where they could boss around many serfs to do whatever their will was. I wish to go home soon, but I also want to stay here from curiosity of what is going to happen next. Besides, the preist says that we will be visiting a nun convent next week!

age 14, June 21st, 965 AD
Whatever I thought was difficult as a young boy truly makes me feel foolish now. It has been almost a year since our promotion to become a squire and the hardest year of my life. After a ceremony of blessings and sacraments I was sent back to my quarters like any other night. After that, everything changed, almost as much change as when I first came to live here. As a page all I had to do was learn, now it is so much more, and brutal. Those who cmplained about being a page have already given up at this point, they have left to join guilds or whatever else they please. I don't get to see much of the priest before, this saddens me because he became somewhat of a father figure to me. Now a vassal teaches us, his name is lord Badford. He is a bit elderly, one who is too old to continue being a knight, but he still has the strength of twenty. The training is brutal, every day is running, jumping, riding, wrestling, all wearing that armor. For the first months everything hurt, I didn't think that I would make it, now I am used to it ad I think I'll be fine. I have gotten very skilled in combat, and in hunting as well as physical endurance, although my archery skills could do work, and I receive mocks from lord Baford every time I try to mount a horse. I used to not have a clue in the world of what this is all for, silly, a knight is a warrior of god's blessing to fight for his kingdom. Oh yes and chivalry, we are beaten every time we do not greet a lady in the proper manor.
age 20, September 23rd, 971 AD
Finally, after all these years, I will reach knighthood. Not much has changed for the past six years, besides my increase of skill, my improvment in all areas, and lord Badford died just over a year ago. It wasn't a surprise, he was overdue for death, not many knights make it to be sixty three years old. I have experted every aspect of being a knight, I now every battle concept, and am exceptionalo in fighting. When we began, my group had fourteen people, now there is six of us left, we are the strongest ones. I have been married for four years now, my lady's name is lady lucy of a fief a few hours away, she is currently sixteen years old, we plan on having our first child after my knighting. The lord of this huge manor and province and the priest who I have been so close to for these many years will be the ones knighting me in about two weeks. The preist has aged quite a bit since I arrived here. The serfs who once took care of me are now well reckognized family to me. It is quite exciting, few times have I ever seen this high lord let alone talk to him, and now I shall serve under him. I have not even thought about returing home, which I shall after the knighting with my lady. I will have control over my own fief and land, even if it is quite a bit smaller than the one I roam in right now. The only part that I am not looking forward to is the pre ceremnoial fasting and the entire night in prayer!
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

lolz

Post  Brandon H. on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Besides the long post, i noticed that you spelled young wrong. (Try to say, young wrong, five times fast). You spelled yong, made me think of an asian knight. Just some amusing imagry. But never the less, I noticed how it was a review of the becoming a knight, in which we did in class. It refreshed my memory a lot which was good, and its good to do on subject things, (unlike me). Thanks for the learning aid. I noticed a little extra, some in depth, thats good.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum