Raised from a she-wolf

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raised from a she-wolf

Post  JeremyM on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:56 pm

from the roman myth, the founders of Rome were Romulus and Remus. The twin-brothers were the supposed sons of the God Mars and the priestess Rhea Silvia. The story begins with their grandfather and king of the ancient Italian city of Alba Longa, by his brother Amulius. Numitor's daughter, Rhea Silvia, was made a Virgin by Amulius - which meant that she was made a priestess of the goddess Vesta and therefore forbidden to marry. But, the god Mars came to her in her temple and with him she got busy and had her two sons, Romulus and Remus. As soon as they were born, her husband abandoned them in a hidden location.They were unwanted because Amulius was fearing that the boys would grow up to overthrow him, so he had them placed in a trough and thrown into the River Tiber. At that time the river was flooded and when the waters fell, the trough still containing the two boys, came ashore. They were found by a she-wolf, who instead of killing them, looked after them and fed them with her milk. The she-wolf was helped by a woodpecker who brought them food too. And both these animals were sacred to Mars. So from this comes the story of how the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus were raised and found by the She-wolf.
JeremyM
Newcomer
Newcomer

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Romulus & Remus

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Even though i knew the myth, this went way more in depth than i've ever read before... great job!
Isn't it weird how myths come about? I mean who comes up with these random stories?

it isn't like people were there to witness anything, and the people that do create myths have to have pretty imaginary minds, right? I don't think that i could make up a story like that, besides why would i want to?

I don't know, i just can't get over the fact that this isn't proven true, therefore it could all be a complete lie... there is just so much to think about...

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum