Myths of ancient Greece

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Myths of ancient Greece

Post  Brock M. Hay on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey its time for more Greek study! This week instead of skimming a section on the Greek chapter, I wanted to tell a Greek myth. But there are so many good ones I am not going to tell one long big story, but two kind of long myths. The first one is Daedalus and Icarus.

It all starts when Daedalus fled to the historical island of Crete after killing his nephew Talos. King Minos greets and takes great care for Daedalus since Minos knows that he is a great architect. Over the years in Crete Daedalus planned and was responsible for many beautiful temples, statues, and palaces. It was Daedalus himself who created the labyrinth that lied under the palace of Knosis. Minos was so proud of this gigantic maze that he wanted absolutely no one to know how to escape it, to succeed in this he captured Daedalus and his son Icarus. To escape their entrapment Daedalus built for each his son and himself a man made pair of wings made from trees and string. Before they set flight Daedalus warned his son "do not fly near to the sun, for your wings will melt and you will fall and parish. As they were in flight Icarus was having the most serene moment of his life. Ignoring his father out of joy Icarus flew as high as he could, as the wax began to melt he fell to his death. I'm not sure and the website that I paraphrased from didn't say so, but I think after his escape Daedalus was very depressed and remained on the island he escaped to until he died, he named the island Icarus.

Its time for myth two children! Its called Pandora's box, and explains why there is crime and hate in the world. It all started when Zeus felt like having a daughter, so he ordered Hephaestus (husband of Aphrodite) to make him a daughter out of clay. This daughter was to be called Pandora. Zeus sent his new daughter to go marry a lonely earth dweller named Epimetheus. But this was not an act of kindness but revenge, Zeus was mad at Epimetheus's brother Prometheus for giving the people fire without his permission. Zeus gave Pandora a little box with a large lock, giving the key to Epimetheus telling them to never open it yet not telling them what is inside. Zeus knew their curiosity would get the better of them. Pandora was extremely curious of what was inside the box, but Epimetheus just said "you know your father, he is a tricky one." One day when Epimetheus was asleep she stole the key, and opened the box and then out of the box came every bad disease, crime, and personality you can think of. Epimetheus woke up to her weaping, she showed him the box to prove that everything flew away and out came one last bug. And it said "Thank you for saving me, my name is hope." and flew away. And after that, earth was full of disease, crime, hate, and hope.

greece.mrdonn.org/myths.html This is my site that I used to paraphrase,

So tell me guys, what is your favorite myth?

Last edited by Brock M. Hay on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Myths of ancient Greece

Post  Alex Galluzzi on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:24 am

LOL Brock! By the way the myth i like the most is the one of Roma! About Romolo and Remolo. Peole say that they are the two actual founders of Rome!
Alex Galluzzi
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Greeks

Post  Josh Medrano on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:58 pm

My favorite myth is the "Hercules" one. This about one of the sons of Zeus that is taken down to earth from the Mount Olympus. He is half god half human. He was to be a hero to become a god and united with his father. But to reach such level he has to kill different beasts. Ares his uncle, the god of the underworld is his enemy, Ares has a plan, when all the plants from a line he will free the Titans that Zeus has trap. Hercules will defeat Ares and became a god, but instead of reuniting with his mother and father he stays with a woman he feel in love with during his staying in the mortals world. So he decides to stay with him and be happy ever after.
Josh Medrano
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Well my favorite myth is the 'Hercules' one, probably because of the disney movie Smile
When i read about it or i watch the movie i feel strong, and i like it Smile
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

Myths

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

My favorite myth is the one about Penelope from Sparta. I like it because she is a Greek heroine, and i think that she shows women can be strong, responsible, but yet lady-like. I will copy and paste it onto this post for you guys to read as well.
"Penelope was the heroine of the Odyssey. Penelope (Πηνελόπη) was the daughter of Icarius, brother of King Tyndareüs of Sparta. Her mother was named Periboea. On her father's side, Penelope was first cousin of Helen Clytemnestra and the Dioscuri, Castor and Polydeuces (Pollux).

Tyndareüs did not forget Odysseus' wise advice, when his daughter had many powerful princes as her suitors. Tyndareüs helped Odysseus to win the hand of his niece Penelope in marriage. Penelope was the daughter of Tyndareüs' brother, Icarius, so Penelope was first cousin to Helen. Tyndareüs encouraged his brother to arrange a footrace between the suitors. Odysseus was known for his fleetness of foot, won the race. They were married and stayed in Sparta for some time, before Odysseus decided to return to his kingdom, on the island of Ithaca.

Icarius, however, opposed to his daughter leaving him, because he dotted on Penelope. Penelope had a tough decision of either staying with her father or leaving her father with her new husband. Penelope covered her face with her veil, and left Sparta with Odysseus.

Penelope became the mother of Telemachus, but their happiness were short-lived. The Trojan War arrived, and Odysseus was conscripted to join the Greek army when Telemachus was still an infant. Odysseus was reluctant to join the army, because he knew from the oracle that he would not return home until twenty years later.

Unlike her cousins Helen, Clytemnestra and Timandra, who had all committed adultery, Penelope was faithful to her husband during his absence. That's because Tyndareüs had forgotten to sacrifice to Aphrodite. Aphrodite punished Tyndareüs, by making all three daughters into adulteresses. After Odysseus' absence from Ithaca for almost 17 years later, her home was 108 suitors from Ithaca and the surrounding islands, wanted her to choose one of them her husband. She refused to accept any of them, but she was powerless to drive them out of her palace. When Odysseus returned and killed all the suitors, they were reunited as husband and wife. See the Odyssey for the entire tale about Odysseus' adventure after the war.

According to one peculiar Arcadian legend, Penelope was not as faithful as she had seemed in the Odyssey. It was said that she was seduced by one of her suitors, possibly Amphinomus or Antinous. Odysseus divorced her, so Penelope returned home to Sparta. But during her journey, she had somehow got lost in Arcadia. When she reached Mantinea, Hermes seduced her and she gave birth to the god Pan. But in other legend, Penelope remained faithful to Odysseus until his death.

According to the Telegony (Epic Cycle), Odysseus left Ithaca, and stayed in Thesprotia for a number of years, married to Thesprotia's queen, Callidice, but the hero returned to her when Callidice died. Penelope had another son with Odysseus, named Acusilaus.

Odysseus also a son named Telegonus, but by the sorceress Circe. Telegonus had left home, in the hope to find his father. Father and son didn't recognise each other, so Telegonus had unwittingly killed his father during a raid. Penelope and her son Telemachus forgave Telegonus. They left together to dwell in Circe's island palace. Circe married Telemachus, while Penelope married Odysseus' other son, Telegonus. Circe made Penelope and their sons immortal."

http://www.timelessmyths.com/classical/heroines.html#Penelope

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: