foundation of Greek study 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

foundation of Greek study 2

Post  Brock M. Hay on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:37 pm

This week I am going to continue the overview for our next chapter on Greek study. This is section three, Victory and Defeat in the Greek World.

In five hundred BC Athens became Greek's wealthiest independent city state, but soon to come was one of the most fearsome armies in that time: the Persian army that ruled a huge area of Greece from Asia minor. The city states that were taken by Greece (like the Ionia city state) remained self governing yet hated the Persian rule, so with the help of Athens fought against Persia. This led to many years of warfare. Persia easily crushed the city state of Ionia but the Persian emperor Darius was furious with Athens for helping the Ionians so much in fact Darius had a servant whisper to him at every meal "remember the Athenians". Later on the Persians attacked the Athenians from Marathon (the northern plateau) and lost! The Athenians had no horses, no archers, and a handful of men managed to make them retreat to their ships.

Darius died in four hundred and eighty BC and his son Xerxes sent a much larger army to destroy Athens. But at this time the Athenians convinced Sparta to join the fight. A mere three hundred Spartans fended off the land through a narrow mountain pass called Thermopylae. It looked really cool in the movie but the Persians killed the Spartans and marched south to burn down Athens. Except the city of Athens was empty, all the people deserted the city. The Athenians lured the Persian ships into the narrow strait of Salamis when the Athenian warships rammed the Persian ships and sunk them. The war ends a year later when the Athenians took Asia minor.

After the wars with Persia came the golden age for Athens. The politics of Athens at this time was a direct democracy, in which a lot of the people help out with the day to day political affairs. Athenians began to serve in juries, or group of people to make a final judgement in a court of law. Some people or juries could also vote to banish people that were seen as a public threat. This is called ostracism. At the same time there was huge advancements in art and architecture, elegant statues and temples were made.

This wasn't the entire section but it covers the main points.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: foundation of Greek study 2

Post  Alex Galluzzi on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:40 pm

About greece i like the city sparta and its history. The spartans, people that lived there, were really good soldiers and wanted to die for the glory of their city. They fought versus persians. Spartans won many of the wars, but not the last one. As i saw the movie 300, about them, i got super interested in the argument of greece and sparta.
Alex Galluzzi
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum