The Foundation of Greek study

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Foundation of Greek study

Post  Brock M. Hay on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:57 am

I heard that soon maybe even our next chapter, will be based on the ancient empire of Greece, so I decided to skim the 2nd section (rise of greek city states) and share it in my own words.

The Geography:The Greek empire's geography is filled with rocky scattered islands, and part of the Balkan peninsula spreading southward dividing this peninsula were many rocky mountain ranges and dangrous valleys. This geography made it hard for Greece to become a united empire which is why in the beggining they were just a large range of independent city states fighting to keep their land theirs. The sea that surrounded the greek empire was not a such bad thing. It made huge availabitlity for export routes, the Greeks quickly became skilled sailors with hundreds of ports in the empire.

Expansion, achievements, and government: After a long while of population in seven hundred fifty BCE they began to explain to the coasts near the Nile Delta and across European areas like Spain. They took the letters of the Phonecian alphabet and made a very similar alphabet to the one we have today. They began specially designing these city states into what was called the polis. They had s higher city, where the wealthier roamed usually on a large hill top. These city sections were called acropolis. As time went by, they began evolving their governmental methods, at first their was monarchy, when there is one ruler that has all power, like a pharoh or emperor, or a dictator. Over time, after many wars when only the noble ones were the ones who fought the government became an aristocracy. In which the land is ruled by the general or military leader that has it controlled. As trade expanded there came a huge population growth of middle class citizens, this lead to an oligarchy, government ruled by business men of the middle class.

The Spartans: One area of Greece was taken over at one point by the Spartans, a brutal race who made everyone they conquered their slaves or helots. Soldiers began training brutally from the age of seven, they were aloud to marry at age twenty, but could not live outside of their barracks until the age of thirty. Women had much pressure because they were depended on to have healthy children or else they would be unworthy and disposed of. They ended up running the family affairs since the men were at war so often. Unlike the other regions of Greece the Spartans isolated themselves from the other city states. They did not trade and tried to forbid people from even traveling outside of the city.

Athens: The economy in this city state can be considered much like of the United States. They are a huge exporter making their land to be said extremely wealthy, and yet as the middle class becomes rich the lower class suffers. They usually have to sell whatever land they have to pay off their debts. Over time this city state moved towards a democracy government, in which the government is by the people. it drew towards this way yet they were still being ruled by many tyrants, or people who gain their power by force. There was many slaves with no rights suffering in Athens, which was not much better than the women. Who had no public life, who were taught from youth that men were better than women, therefore the women must obey men.

Religion: The basic Greek religion to finish, Zeus is the master god man. The ruler of all like the Amon Re of Greece. He had some kids called Aphrodite (goddess of love), Ares (god of war), and Athena( goddess of wisdom, Athens named after her. But there is one strange thing, they believe that the world is not regulated by the gods, but by the forces of nature.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Greek

Post  Brandon H. on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Wow Brock, you wrote a book! Why does everything you do have to perfect. Oh well I thought it was interesting about the basis of Greek ways. I like how he pretty much summed up our next chapter. The Greek mythology and just overall history has to be one of the best parts of history to study. I`m looking forward to what we work with in the Greek chapter.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum