Swiss air 111

Go down

Swiss air 111 Empty Swiss air 111

Post  Brandon H. on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Swiss air one-eleven. This is the name that haunts every pilot when they recall the horific situation. If you don`t already know, Swiss air is a comercial airline. Its most common destinations are in Europe, but it does fly over seas to North America. On september 2, 1998, A swiss air plane was flying to New York. The events of the night were unpredictible.

The airplane was an hour in, and their descent was in the near future, so they thought. We have flight dialogue that describes what happened on board. The pilots started to smell smoke. The source of the smell seemed to be from the cockpit. That was not a good sign

Before they could get information for an emergency land the cockpit was ingulfed with flame.The fire had spread quickly, at this time Swiss air 111 was bordering Nova-Scotia Canada, where I was asleep in my bed on that very same night in the very same place. I was 2 years old.

Now this part gets bad. the cockpit turned into a gas chamber, sight was impossible and death was enevidble. The heat was so bad that the roof was dripping on the pilots shoulders with excrutiating pain of this acid like sustance melting through their flesh. At this point, just before means of communication were cut off, all that were recorded were caughes screams.

No one knows how the pilots did it, but they managed to aim the crashing fireball into the Atlantic ocean instead of the houses of all the Canadians, actualy, if the pilots didn`t stay alive for this clear goal, te plane would have killed me in my bed that night. My Dad, (A pilot) said that the flight course was set to go to the border of North America, and then follow it down to New York, so if the plane had not gone the few extra tens of miles, My family and I would have died. Even though they crashed, the pilots died saving the people of my neighbor hood and me.

The plane crashed. No one survived. The crash took the lives of 215 passengers and 14 crew members.Swiss air 111 is a crash all student pilots now study and learn from.I am a student pilot actually, I`m doing courses on basic Aviation science and my "Fan flight" is coming up. It starteld me to learn about a long time ago that the roof melted on the pilots' shoulders and that the cockpit turned into a gas chamber, and that they all died, 229 people.

There has been better teachings and qualification standards for pilots and aviation engineers. Protocols and more recent technologies have changed since and because of these events. This type of situation will surely not happen again, most definetely not in the way that it happened at least. I want to be a pilot when I grow up, and the pilots effort in the cockpit that night so long ago that saved me and my families lives, is kind of an inspiration for me wanting to be a pilot. Besides that, my Dads also a pilot, my Dads Dad was a pilot and my older brother is studying to be a pilot. Brock wants to be a doctor, that just ruins everything. Nah just joking, he`ll probably cure cancer or something because he`s good at Biology. Anyway back to something with historical signifigance, I think this is one of the historical events that will affect my future life.

Brandon H.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Swiss air 111 Empty Re: Swiss air 111

Post  HelenaD on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm

WOW! I really liked that post. Even though it was sad and horrible it was interesting.RIP to the persons that unfortunately died. It is not only a bad event but also a good one that happenned because, in a way, it helped other pilots and aviation ports to study and understand better the airplanes and know what mistakes should not be done again! Like you said, this event and of course more others,made changes in protocols and other recent technologies. I am happy to know you and your family survived! Or else, we wouldn't be talking about this! Very good and intersting posts with lots of details. I think working on planes or being a pilot is a interesting job too and very passionating. I have lots of family memebers that also work on airplanes or on airplanes company. Very Happy

HelenaD
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Swiss air 111 Empty Swiss Air One-Eleven

Post  AnaMartinez on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Awesome post! It almost made me cry though. It must have scared you a lot to know that you could have died that very night. pale I wonder what exactly happened on that plane. Was the pilot smoking or something?? I will never ever board any Swissair McDonnell Douglas MD-11 plane EVER! It's cool that alot of your family memebers were pilots and are going to be pilots. I looked up the plane, and I found it kind of freaky that it crashed on September 2, the day of my birthday... Anyway, great post! Razz
AnaMartinez
AnaMartinez
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Swiss air 111 Empty Swiss Air 111

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow, i knew that something like this had happened in the past but
a) i didn't know that it happened in my lifetime
b) that it was on Ana's birthday (really freaky)
and
c) that if it weren't for the pilots, many people of Nova Scotia would have died a really painful and sad death.

It is good that because of this event technologies have been improved and are more secure now. I bet that the pilots of Swiss Air 111 not only inspired the Hay family, but other families around the world as well.

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Brock M. Hay on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:01 pm

One year my family actually went to the site on the coast closest to where the plane crashes. There was a memorial and names put into a really big rock sign thing made from counter top material. The pilots of air Canada including my dad study crashes like that each year so that they know what to do and avoid them in the future. And I agree it was mood killer thinking about and going there. But good post! Smile
Brock M. Hay
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum