Terry Fox, and his struggle to run with one leg.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Terry Fox, and his struggle to run with one leg.

Post  Brock M. Hay on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm not sure if anyone will even know about this, but in Canada sometime around the current date we celebrate the Terry Fox run. Terry fox was a guy who had cancer, and when he was in high school they had to amputate his left leg and put a fake one there. He ended up surviving that cancer and began being disabled athlete or whatever you call those people. He played paraeligec basket ball player during high school, he was great, but there is no career there. One day he thought screw it, I'm gonna be the first one legged man to run across Canada. He began in Newfoundland, the East coast of Canada, he dipped his prostedic leg in the Atlantic ocean and planned to dip it in the Pacific ocean when he was done. Unfortunately he never got that far. Anyway he ran through the first few provinces and never got that much publicity, but as soon as he arrived at Montreal, he became famous beyond his belief. And from then on there would be huge groups of people running with him, and one of his famous quotes posted. " I don't think of it as running across the whole country, but I think to run to the end of that street, and then to that sign, and then over there to the restaurant." Once he made it to Manitoba or Ontario, around there, he got cancer again. But this time the cancer was lethal. And I believe the Terry Fox run takes place on the day he died. Anyway after he did what he did he inspired many others to do the same, Hell, I think a guy in the US did it with a wheelchair! I believe Terry Fox did that marathon and died sometime during the 90s. At my school in Canada we celebrate the Terry Fox run by running a mile up a trail, then running back putting all of our donated money and stuff inside a box. Damn that would be a great excuse to miss part of a school day! Very Happy
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Terry Fox

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 pm

WOW! That sounds like an inspiring story... Terry Fox must have really had guts to go out in front of the whole world and declare that his goal is to run across Canada. Not only would i think it is amazing to run across Canada, but he had a prosthetic leg, for crying out loud! You've got to give him credit for that. Sadly, he got cancer and died, but i think that his legacy will be to always keep fighting no matter what comes your way. We think that it's the end of the world if we have two or three exams in a week, imagine running across Canada with a fake leg attached to you....... just think about it......

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Terry Fox, and his struggle to run with one leg.

Post  Alex Galluzzi on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:51 am

Damn! I have never heard about him, but now i think he should be like a myth. First because i cannot think of running all around Canada, second with a fake leg!? Shocked OMG! As we know sadly he died for cancer. Sad
Alex Galluzzi
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

The luck of the Canadian?

Post  Brandon H. on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Terry Fox had cancer. The doctors at the time decided to cut his leg off to stop the cancer. This did not work. He died anyway. Between the time of the chop of his leg and the death from his survived cancer more patriotic events happened then you can imagine. I assure you that Brock did'nt need to research any information because we are thouroughly taught of his incredible life story in Canada. I whine if i have to run a mile for the schools anual fun run, Terry Fox ran 26 miles every day, that`s a marathon a day. Wowzas
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Terry Fox, and his struggle to run with one leg.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum