How to mummify

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to mummify

Post  Brock M. Hay on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm guessing you are all so upset that we are done the Egypt unit because Egypt is probably one of the easiest units and most interesting we will ever do. Crying or Very sad So here is one more bit of Egyptian information just because screw it! Today I am going to tell you guys the entire process of mummification, here's the background information. First there are three or four men doing the mummification, the leader embalmer wears a mask of Anubis to ensure a great mummification for the body. It takes about fourty days to do it because you must wait many days between certain steps.

The first step, embalming the body. They take the body to the tent known as an Ibu, or place of protection. They cover the body with a wax like substance, with water straight from the Nile river, it was known to be a god like water. And the material in fact did great in preserving the body of this soon to be mummy.

Step two, taking out the organs. This is vital to prevent the deposition, but its not like they through the organs away, you need them! The organs would be put in four different Canobic jars including the liver, lungs, and heart. Egyptians did not bring the brain, they thought it was useless and used a long forked like tool to stir around the brain into a spaghetti like form and pull it out of your nostrils. But in order for all of this to happen the lead embalmer would have to cut the body up the side to get the organs out. It is very offensive to defile the body of the dead, like cutting it. So as part of the ritual, the other embalmers would have to "punish" the leader for cutting the body, to do this they threw rocks at him. And not hard so he would bleed but lightly just to appeal to Anubis that they had done the right thing.

Step three is very simple and short. You had to cover and fill the body with a natron fluid to prevent decomposition. Again they fill the body with it by using that one large cut, it was vital not to "hurt" the dead even during mummification.

Step four occurs fourty days later when they rewash the body and cover it with oils that keep the skin "elastiky", this substance also used with Nile water. Again this is very short and discreet which makes it difficult for me to write much on it.

And guess what?! Its step five and that means its time to wrap the mummy!!! (overenthusiastic cheer in the background) !!! They cover the body with thin linen with many layers, its easy now that the body is dehydrated. Each finger, arm, leg, and toe is individually wraped. Now the Canobic jars are placed in the tomb. Imesty, the human headed god looks over the liver, Hapy, the baboon headed god looks over your lungs, Duamutef, The jackel headed god looks over the stomach, and finally, Quebenheusef, the falcon headed guard who looks over the heart.

After this the body is given a book of the dead, given charms and rituals by a priest. Then the body is wrapped in a big thing of linen with out any individual parts. Then the body is wrapped with straps and another more thicker lair of linen. Then the body is put into a sarcophogus that always has some sort of Osiris image to show godlike athority in the afterlife. Then they have a large series of mourning, funerals, and rituals before the body now in the sarcophogus is put into its pyramid tomb for etternity.

JESUS I WROTE A LOT!!!!

So tell me guys, what are other traditional ways of dealing (burrying, burning, ect ) that you know of from history or personal tradition?
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Alternatives to burial.

Post  LauraNoaBassano on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm

When I read brock's topic I was so surprised about all the steps of how to mummify. I search others ways to be buried. Then I found this modern (and some REALLY weird Exclamation ) methods:

• Burial at sea is the practice of depositing the body in an ocean or other large body of water instead of soil. It may be disposed in a coffin, or without one. Because of the particular logistics of scattering ashes at sea, there are commercial services that do so for a fee.
  • Funerary cannibalism is the practice of eating the remains. This may be for many reasons: for example to partake of their strength, to spiritually "close the circle" by reabsorbing their life into the family or clan, to annihilate an enemy, or due to pathological mental conditions. The Yanomami (we are studying them in Sociales Very Happy ) have the habit of cremating the remains and then eating the ashes with banana paste.
  • Cremation is the incineration of the remains. This practice is common amongst Hindus and is becoming increasingly common in other cultures as well. If a family member wishes, the ashes can now be turned into a gem, similar to creating synthetic diamonds.
  • Ecological funeral is a method of increasing the rate of decomposition in order to help fertilize the soil.
  • Excarnation is the practice of removing the flesh from the corpse without interment. The Zoroastrians have traditionally left their dead on Towers of Silence, where the flesh of the corpses is left to be devoured by vultures and other carrion-eating birds. Alternatively, it can also mean butchering the corpse by hand to remove the flesh (sometimes referred to by the neologism "defleshing").
  • Gibbeting was the ancient practice of publicly displaying remains of criminals.
  • Hanging coffins are coffins which have been placed on cliffs. They can be found in various locations, including China and the Philippines.
  • Resomation involves disposal through an accelerated process of alkaline hydrolysis.
  • Sky burial involves placing the body on a mountaintop.
  • Cryonics is often mistakenly assumed as an alternative interment method. In fact it's a procedure to physically preserve a body. Cryonics supporters hope reviving individuals will be technologically feasible one day. See also information theoretical death; clinical death
congratulations
LauraNoaBassano
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001220029647

Back to top Go down

Burial Traditions

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 pm

WOW Noa! You mentioned all of them!
Although Noa has already named all of the burial traditions that i know, i will share some of my information.
The ways of that i know include:
- Simple burial: when a body is put under ground.
- Burial at sea: when a body is thrown into the ocean.
- Cremation: when a body is burned and the family can choose to keep the ashes.
Those are pretty much the only ones i know........

Laughing

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Brocks a nerd (JK sorry Mr.Fisher but he`s my little bro)

Post  Brandon H. on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Wow Brock, that was a fun read! Thanks for those images, I`m a' go hit you upstairs right now and you`ll know why when you read this. Ok that was funny, he was playing video games and was like, "what da' heck!". Any way lets get all smart and professional. My grandparents were burned into ashes, and put in a stone chizzled cabinet in a graveyard. It`s completely stone, and hand made. My parents want to be ashes as well, to be put in a little vase. Me, I havn`t thought about it, I want to donate my body to science research. At least I would be helpful then. Plus my brain has to be bigger then the averege brain. Theres a theory about twins about skull thickness.
Brandon H.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Nice Post Brandon....

Post  MariaelenaFarina on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Really, Brandon? LOL! Everything you have to say has to be made into a joke.... Very Happy Is Brock really younger than you? By like what, 5 seconds?
Anyway, Brandon reminded me of another way that people use when they die..... donating your body to science research.....
I guess you won't need your organs anymore, so why not? If you don't need them, let doctors and scientists try to find cures for illnesses with it.
lol!

MariaelenaFarina
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

I'M SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED MY POST BRANDON, OR SHOULD I SAY BABY BROTHER

Post  Brock M. Hay on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I like how you talk big and all but you never hit me last night, and I think you would have been most upset of the outcome of hitting me. Anyway the skull thickness thing is true and very strange. And also They have this science department where if you die they freeze you chriogenically (I'm not sure the spelling) And they are trying to find a way to restore life to an organism that has died. It has worked on many coldblooded animals, so unfortuantely for you all, I might be alive again come one hundred years from now, and everything we experience today will just become another history class.
Brock M. Hay
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: How to mummify

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum