Ocean of Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ocean of Fire

Post  Hristo on Sun May 29, 2011 10:12 am

7 years ago Disney made a movie called Hidalgo. The movie is about Frank Hopkins (1865 – 1951), a professional horseman and distance rider. It is known that Hopkins has competed in hundreds horse races and hasn't lost one! There is a legend saying that Hopkins was the first and only American to compete and win the legendary race Ocean of Fire with his mustang, Hidago. Ocean of Fire was a race across the desert in Arabia which ocurred every year for more than a 1,000 years. It was a symbol of one's courage, honor, and endurance. It started in Aden, then went north along the Persian Gulf, then turned west along the borders of present-day Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Syria. The total distance was about 3,000 miles! Most of the competitors died during the race. Some of disease, some of sand storms, and some got killed by other competitors. Many people question the existence of this race. In fact, there are almost none records of it. After the movie was released many people did researches and even interviewed Arabian people and studied Arabian history but still did not find anything. Many people were furious when they found out that Disney's "based on true story" movies is actually a made-up fairytale. The scriptwriter of the movie, John Fusco, explained that he used Albert W. Harris' book Blood of the Arab and Frank Hopkins' own memoirs as source. Harris' book is known as the bible of the Arabian horses and indeed, there is a chapter describing the legendary race. Also, Hopkins describes the whole race in his memoirs but some people interpret them as "ramblings of a very sick man."
Do you believe the race existed?

Source

Hristo
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Ocean of Fire

Post  Philippe Bissonnette on Mon May 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Since Hidalgo is my favorite movie of all time i believe in the story of the Ocean of fire! Very Happy

I got nothing else to say!
Nice post!

Philippe Bissonnette
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 0

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum