Fortune Cookies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fortune Cookies

Post  Reny P. on Sun May 08, 2011 10:02 pm

I bet all of you have heard of fortune cookies before. They’re a crispy cookie made usually from sugar, flower, vanilla, and oil. They contain a piece of paper with a “fortune” inside. This “fortune” could be a quote, faux wisdom, or a prophecy. Sometime people order the cookies to come with a special fortune, such as “will you marry me?”

Since these cookies are usually served in Chinese restaurants in the United States, people think these are Chinese fortune cookies. In reality, they don’t even have them in China. It has nothing to do with that country. The United States invented the fortune cookies, though they based it on some sort of Japanese cracker.

Did you know fortune cookies weren’t Chinese? Why would they serve them in Chinese restaurants then?
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Fortune Cookies

Post  Paola fix on Sun May 08, 2011 11:48 pm

I had no idea that these cookies were created in the U.S. because people usually talk about the cookies in being from china especially in movies Razz... Also i think that they probably serve them in Chinese restaurants because simple they liked the idea, just like any other country would take someone else idea or invention and create it in their own way. OR maybe A U.S. Citizen had gone to china and got very popular selling this cookies in China than in the U.S., because maybe the Chinese believed more in fortunes.
Paola fix
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriella on Sun May 15, 2011 2:24 pm

I already knew this but I find it pretty funny how the chinese people in the restraunts just go along with it. I wonder why they started doing that... it seems normal having chinese restraunts have fortune cookies even if they are american, but imagine if an american restraunt such as McD's having fortune cookies....

I don't believe in the fortunes BUT I have had three come true to my knowledge, which I find pretty awesome. tongue
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  peter on Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 am

Wow! that was a surprise to me! The fortune cookie was originated in California in 1918, however, it was by a chinese man. The chinese has a traditional dish called moon cake which had hidden messages inside. I guess that is how he got the idea from and introduced something like that in the United States.
peter
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

http://www.facebook.com/peterknof

Back to top Go down

Post  cierrawright on Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Omg I really thought fortune cookies were from China Razz

cierrawright
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon A on Sun May 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Sad omg the illusion is shattered, i had no idea. Now I'm starting to question my whole life.

Shannon A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum