The origin of music in Dominican Republic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The origin of music in Dominican Republic

Post  ebeli on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

Music has been an important process in the culture of the Dominican Republic. The Dominicans came from a mix of Spanish, Africans, and Indians and as well, the music came from these three different races. Three instruments of these different races were the guitar from Spain, the drums from Africa, and the rattle from the Indians. These are the three basic instrument of the music that was created by Dominicans and with it came along the accordion with is from Germany. Along with the music they had dances like “El Baile Del Palo” that emerged among the black population with African influence; this dance is relate to religion. Other popular dances were “Caribine” and “Mangulina”. The most popular dance of all was and is the Merengue, which is the typical dance of the D.R. the first person to compose merengue music was Juan Bautista Alfonseca. All of this type of music and dances were created in XIX century, which was when the Dominican Republic started to have a more of a culture by creating music. Bachata is also considerate a typical music of the D.R which was created in the 20 century. is was say that the bachata was for prostitutes and people from the street, people who listened to this type of music were not respected and were considerate bad people. When Trujillo was a dictator, he really liked the bachata and since that time people started to considerate like a normal dance, cause you have to like what the boss liked and if you didn’t like it you were in big trouble. Music is an important thing in the D.R culture, it tell a lot of are culture and it gives a definition to define the Dominicans. !!!!!!!!!!!!1 Wink

ebeli
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

The origin of music in the Dominican Republic

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 pm

I think its very interesting how with a mix of various instruments and music from other countries combined and produced what is now bachata or merengue or salsa. Well, the merengue from 20 years ago was way different from what it sounds like now but i still thinks its quite interesting. And yes, i do think that the music does give a definition to the dominicans. Smile
Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Re: The origin of music in Dominican Republic

Post  Gabriella on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am

Very interesting! I honestly dislike the music here, but I do respect how it started and the uniqueness of it. It's interesting and I like how there is a history to it. Aside from today, most music from other places, too, has very interesting backgrounds. I wish we went back to that stuff, not that there is anything wrong with the computerized music but I'd like there to be some substance.
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Re: The origin of music in Dominican Republic

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum