Day of Silence

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Day of Silence

Post  Reny P. on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:46 am

Today, April 15th is the Day of Silence 2011. This day was organized by the GLSEN. It is celebrated annually to protest against the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. All around the world students take a vow not to speak (as long as they want) to represent the silencing of LGBT and their supporters. The Day of Silence has been held every year in April since 1996. Last year it was held on April 16th.

Do you support them? would you join along?

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Silence
http://www.dayofsilence.org/
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Day of Silence

Post  angie m on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:58 am

i totally support this cause. Around the world Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, and trasganeders have always been discriminated and treated as an outcast of society. TO me, bullying this type of poeple is the same as racism. One's sexual orientation should not define whether they are accepted or not. The LGBT have kept quiet long enough, i think they should speak up for their rights. This day is a good way of representing what the LGBT have to go through every day. We should all joing along to this great cause.
angie m
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  cierrawright on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:03 am

Not that I would necessarily do the silence thing, but I do support gays, bi's, lesbians, transgender, etc. Who are we to judge the choices of others? The same way you don't want to be judged upon the choices you've made because you WANT to, why should we do it to others? Never judge a book by it's cover.

cierrawright
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriella on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 am

That is awesome!
I completely support the LGBT community. Those poor people wake up every morning to a world that wont accept them as they really are. It's awful and heartbreaking. Needless to say, I've had many BI friends and a transgender friend and they do suffer... a lot. They are not aliens, they are not weird. They are regular people who just happen to be attracted to the same sex. People should not judge them, no matter what they think or what their bible says. The bible tells people to "love thy neighbor" and all these hate crimes and bullying and cruelty is going against that. They shouldn't say they do as the bible tells them if they're going to pick it appart to what's convinent to them. The LGBT deserves respect as any human being does. I cannot tell you how horrible it feels when a friend confronts you about being teased because she likes a girl. Or when a guy hides in the bathroom just because he'd rather wear a skirt than baggy jeans. It's HORRIBLE. and it angers me how ignorant people can be. You don't wake up one morning and choose who you are attracted to. it just happens. right? well, it "just happens" to them too. we're ALL human.

sorry for my rant but seriously...
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: