Reduplicative paramnesia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reduplicative paramnesia

Post  Reny P. on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Reduplicative paramnesia is basically a delusion. It's when a person believes that a place has been duplicated. They think more than one of the same places exist in the world. Everything in th other place is happening at the same times, as if it was relocated. For example, a person might think that they are not in the hospital in which you brought them. They would say they are at an identical hospital in a different country. Let’s say you left your friend in a hospital in Miami, they would think they are in Paris the whole time. It is believed that the disorder is caused by a disruption to the parts of the brain that deal with memory. This is a very rare delusional syndrome.

Have you ever met someone with Reduplicative Paramnesia? What if you thought you have been living in the Dominican Republic, but you're actually in a different country?!

Source:
http://listverse.com/2007/10/13/top-10-bizarre-mental-disorders/
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Reduplicative paramnesia

Post  Gabriella on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm

WOAH. That is kind of mind blowing. Knowing me I would be confused all the time if I had it. I've never even heard of it but it sounds like it's something intense. Is there any way to treat it?
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  angie m on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 am

People who suffer from this syndrome are sometimes tested for recognition. This means that they are shown a picture of a place, and then later, they are shown the exact same picture of the same place. The indivuald being testes usually does not recognize teh picture. They state that they have seen a similar place; however, they insist that is not the same one that is being shown to them now.
This syndrome is usually affects people who have precviously had some type of damage in their brain. Though many people have tried to cure this, no patients hace succesfully completed treatment. SO answering Gaby's question, i dont think there is any good way to treat it.
angie m
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Reny P. on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 am

thanks angie for researching that. Its interesting how people cant recognize tis the same picture. They insist that its another place. Its also unfortunate that there isnt a cure for this. Well unless the person believes their dead.
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum