Virgin De La Altagracia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Virgin De La Altagracia

Post  ebeli on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:06 am

La Virgen de Altagracia, which is Maria the mother of Jesus, is considerate as the Spiritual Protective Mother in the Dominica Republic for the Catholics. Every year there is a day dedicates to her and it is the 21 of January. In this special day, they do a big celebration on the church and groups of people walk on the road. As my grandmother is a religious person, she celebrates every year this activity. She starts singing in front of status of La Virgen De La Altagracia nine days before the 21. They usually do one hour of praying and singing without stopping. After they finish singing and praying, they give coffee, tea, cookies and other type of dessert to the people. During these nine days, the house would be full of family and friends, which is common in every house that celebrates it. The last night (which is the 21 of January), they do the biggest celebration of all days. When the singing and praying is over, they have a huge party with everyone. They will dance the typical dances of the D.R (meringue, salsa, Bachata) into the next morning. This celebration has bee happening for centuries, since the Spanish came To the D.R in the year 1512. Since that time La Virgen De Altagracia has been important, because they said that she did many miracles, and that she appeared and still appears in different places. Many people have faith in her because they say that she always protects them. thee is lots of kind of Virgen de la Altagracia, some people think is the same one and some people think is different; For example la Virgen de la Mercedes, la Virgen del Carmen and other ones. A curiest thing is that if a person is born on January or on a Saturday, they will put them Altagracia. There have been debates between different religious about the Altagracia. Some people of different religious say that she does not exist because in the bible doesn’t say anything of her doing miracles or been that important, it say that she was a normal human and that she give birth the Son of god. Other people do not believe in any religion but they do believe in god. There are also people who believe in nothing about and believe in the evolution. What do you believe in?
Laughing tongue

ebeli
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 pm

To be honest, I dont really believe in god or that Maria was suddenly pregnant and stuff. For me, evolution is the option that makes more sense. It cant be that all of a sudden two humans appeared in the world. How would that be even possible. Also if they did, we would all be brothers and sisters, which doesnt sound so good. So if you asked me, evolution is my choice.
Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Re: Virgin De La Altagracia

Post  Pacome Schembri on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

I Honestly Don't really believe in god or any religion, I believe completely in the evolution. But I do believe in the some of the morals of the bible:
FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'
SIX: 'You shall not murder.'
SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'
EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'
NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'
TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

I mean these are obvious things we SHOULD follow during are life, but many times, to me anyway, the bible does not really make sense. Even though I don't believe in it though i still find it interesting to learn about. It has so much to do with our history and to why we are how we are today.

Pacome Schembri
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriella on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:06 pm

I don't believe in religion, I do believe in god... to some extent. I have my own ideas that are probably wrong but hey.. it's what get's me through life, right?

I 100% believe in evolution though. How can it not be true?

And as I have heard a lot of people saying "how can an explosion start all life?" THAT IS THE BIG BANG THEORY, not evolution. two different things. One started earth, one started life. Rolling Eyes
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum