Aztec Sacrifice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aztec Sacrifice

Post  Drew Smity Smith on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am

Sacrifice in the Aztec civilization played a very important role in their everyday lives. Sacrifice occurred everyday in the Aztecs cities, but why? Well, the Aztecs believed that there were 5 suns in the beginning but they had been defeated over time, and every time at night, when it is dark, the sun is fighting a battle vs. darkness, but the sun won’t always win the battle so the Aztecs sacrifice a human every day before the sun rises to give the it the strength to rise. If they don’t make sacrifices to the sun then it might not win the battle, and if the sun loses the battle the Aztecs will all die.

Methods of Sacrifice

Normally it would take more than 2 people to make a proper sacrifice. But this is how it goes. First 5 priests (normally) take the victim up to the top of the temple and place him/her on a stone slab. 4 priests each hold a limb of the victim and the 5th priest stabs the victim with a flint stone (sharpened of course) then the priest reaches inside of the body and rips out the heart (which is still beating.) After the priests throw the body down the stairs and place the heart in a bowl held by the statue of the desired god, sun. Meanwhile everybody watching the sacrifice is cutting them and bleeding for an additional blood sacrifice. Afterwards the head of the victim would be decapitated and placed on a stick to show. That’s disgusting in my view No

If you were one of the Aztec priests would you be able to make the sacrifice or not?

Drew Smity Smith
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Aztec Sacrifice

Post  Philippe Bissonnette on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Well! Drew to answer your question, i am pretty sure that i would never of wanted to participate in such a nasty ritual. I think that even the thought of opening a persons body being by cutting it with a sharp dagger in the abdomaine is pretty disgusting. Also then i would have to shove my hand in the persons abdomaine and feel all the orgains inside such as the stomach and the liver and so on and so forth; in order to go get the heart, while i would hear the person scream in agony! No, for me i think that it would just be a pretty disturbing expirience to do such a ritual or to even see it happen. I would never want to do a sacrifice like this. I think that only the craziest of all the Aztecs would be priets to do this everyday, for their gods.

Philippe Bissonnette
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Paola Rod on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Noo!! i wouldnt! I would never take part in duch things! U hate to see blood and I bet that if I see people been killed I would die! Sad But its pretty interesting how their systems worked
Paola Rod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  chiaracasoni on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:12 pm

I wouldn't be able to do that because that is too cruel and nasty. Such crimes shouldn't have been permitted back then, but i guess it wasnt an option for the priest. Getting the heart out of someone who is still breathing and stabbing someone are activities i would rather avoid.

chiaracasoni
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  JMertes on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm

No, I could never do such a thing. I think its terrible very unpleasant. I would also hate seeing some one or something suffering. This should have never happened.

JMertes
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Noah Smith on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:15 pm

If i were one of the Aztec priests i think that i would only be able to get to the part were they cut of their head, past that i think that it would pass out. I wonder from were they would have invented this method. Anyway quite aweird way to sacrifice someone i think.
NICE TOPIC DREW...
Noah Smith
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Pacome Schembri on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:14 pm

These sacrifices were pretty disturbing. But because of these sacrifices when Hernan Cortes, came to america trying to conquer the aztec empire it was a lot easier for him since he made alliances with the people who were against these sacrifices (these were the people who would probably get sacrificed next.)

Pacome Schembri
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum