First Bicycle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Bicycle

Post  Reny P. on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:19 pm

The first bicycle was invented by Baron von Drais (a German inventor). It was basically made entirely of wood. Unlike the bicycles we have now, this one had no pedals. The rider had to push their feet against the ground to move. I bet you're thinking "wow, whats the point of a bike with no pedals". Well many upper class men of that time found this invention a great way to pass time. At the time, the speed record for this invention was 15 km/h. At least that's faster than walking. This invention was introduced in Paris in 1818. Soon enough is became known as the Draisienne, which became the latest society craze.

Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: First Bicycle

Post  Shannon A on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Well thats interesting, good thing some other dude invented pedals.

Shannon A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Hristo on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:36 pm

It's interesting how it was invented as entertainment for the upper class men and evolved to a way of transportation used by billions.
Hristo
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  peter on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:10 pm

well that's incredibly lame! It probably was not very stable since you need some decent speed to stay balanced. I also find it interesting that the upper class used this. I mean they had horses and carriages to pull them around so its not like they had to walk far distances.
peter
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

http://www.facebook.com/peterknof

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: