Life as a factory worker during the Industrial Revolution.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Life as a factory worker during the Industrial Revolution.

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:29 pm

It's hard to breathe. Dust flies everywhere. Coughing is heard amongst the workers in the distance. Being a factory worker wasn't an easy job. We have a strict schedule. You can see men, women, and even children working on the big machines. Our working hours were very long which lasted from 12 to 16 hours. Injuries or even death were common. Working on these powerful machines you could have lost a finger, a limb, or even your own life. Also, coal dust was very bad to inhale because it destroyed the lungs. If one of us workers would have gotten sick, then we were fired. Employees hired mostly women then men because they could adapt easily to the machines and were payed less even though they worked the same amount as a man did. Women also had it more tougher than men did. Sitting in a factory for 12 hours meant that when they returned home, they'd also have to work to feed the kids, clean, and clothe them. I also felt bad watching small boy and girls working the machines or pushing coal carts, or working on farms, but since the were helpful, a lot of parents accepted it. I am not married, but I'm glad I am not or else I would have to see my kids suffer, which I would never want to experience. Although some enlightened factories did provide some education but just like they're parents, they were slaves to the machines. Sometimes I work on the textile mill and see the boss glance over me when I make a mistake so I try to stay focused on my work. I don't want to disappoint my father, so I will resist.

Source: The Textbook.

Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating: 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Life as a factory worker during the Industrial Revolution.

Post  Paola fix on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 pm

i don't think that children should be put in this harsh labor, imagine how kids would feel today if they had to work this hard they wouldn't be able to resist. In the Sadler report children were interviewed on how they were treated, it wasn't good that they did not get to see their family much and worked for the whole day. :/

Paola fix
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating: 0

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum