Immune to HIV ?!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Immune to HIV ?!!

Post  Reny P. on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

We all know there was a period in history in which the Bubonic plague spread all over Europe. They say that people survived the plague because of an anomaly in the shape of their red blood cells. The descendats of those people are said to be immune to HIVE and AIDS. They inherited the delta 32 mutation, which in that time prevented the plague from entering its host's white blood cells. Samples of DNA were taken, and the delta 32 mutation was found in 14% of the samples!!

But how could a mutation be past down through so many centuries? Researchers found out that that the survivors of the Bubonic plague lived longer than others, and had more children. Maybe the plague isnt the only thing that caused that kind of mutation. Maybe somewhere in history there was some other sickness which also caused a mutation.

What do you think? Could these people actually be immune to HIV? Could we inherite their muatiton?
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Immune to HIV ?!!

Post  angie m on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Interesting topic reny Smile I have not heard of anyone who is immune to HIV or AIDS. I'm not an expert on this topic but everyone who had HIV has died. The virus HIV attacks the immune system (system which fights and kills viruses) then it uses white blood cells called CD4 T helper cells to make copies of himself . It infects the host cells to reproduce. When HIV is advances is develops in AIDS, which is the last stage. It usually takes people 10 years to go from HIV to AIDS, it depends on the body type. But eventually if you don't take the medication you will die.
You say they tested for the mutation and it was found in 14% of the people, but form that 14% did any actually have HIV or survived AIDs?? It would be interesting to know if it is really possible to be immune to AIDS because then we would just have to reproduce with people who have the mutation and eventually everyone will be immune (if the virus does not change or mutate).
angie m
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Gabriella on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 pm

WOAH. That's crazy. I wonder if they are going to take any tests on those people. If they do, I hope they are immune. Something like that could really help this world out. Very Happy
Gabriella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum