Education in Rome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Education in Rome

Post  Marielly Martinez on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 am

Girls and boys learned to read and write. Lower class Romans were also taught. Poor didn´t receive a formal education but they still learned how to write and read. Schools were for boy´s only. Many Romans hired tutors private tutors, often greeks to supervise their child education. Their children's memorized major events in Roman history. Rhetoric was the subject boys studied to become political careers. During school days they would have to be early at school, for no late and had short break at lunch and then home for bed and wake by sunset for the next day. there were two types of schools; for younger children's age 11 or 12 where they learned to read, write and basic mathematics. For writing they used a wax tablet. Older children's would go to advanced schools, where they learned public speaking. girls went to this schools as they were allowed to get married at age 12, but boys had to wait until they were 14 to get married. Boys had no weekend break they had to work the 7 days of week. Girls from rich families received their education at home. they were taught how to run a house hold and how to be a good wife.

Marielly Martinez
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Education in Rome

Post  julia oriol on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm

It's very interesting how in rome even lower class was taught not like Sparta. Again they have in common that only boys go to school. I wonder why boys were allowed to marry at 14 and girls at 12, could it be for the maturity level. Imagine if we would live in Rome most of the girl and boys would be getting married!

julia oriol
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Jose on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 pm

It's surprising how girls were allowed to get married at such a young age and how boys had to work 7 days a week without ANY breaks. Everyone deserves a break every once in a while. Children used to be able to memorize more things before because the children these days get a lot of information and it's too much for the brain to remember anything. I think the education in Rome should've thought about the children's childhood a little bit more.

Maria Jose
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  chiaracasoni on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

I find very interesting how girls and boys could attend school. In most civilizations the girls wouldnt get an education, they would only serve at home. The rich girls could be homeschooled, maybe this is how it all started. Today a lot of people "go to school" at home.

chiaracasoni
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Montoya on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 am

That would suck to go to school in Rome, no break, I'd go crazy and kill myself. But i like how they taught the women to cook and clean and whatnot, how to take care of the household. They should do that today, it's a good idea.
Josh Montoya
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Education in Rome

Post  mzazo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:51 am

Very interesting how there was tutors so long ago. Also, I find it fair that lower class guys were also taught how to read/write. Also girls were also taught thats a good thing.
Good post!
You get a pat on the back.

mzazo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Offek on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm

It is very good that the all Romans learned how to read and write in an early age. The romans were very well educated, that gave them a huge advantage as an empire. Good Post!
Offek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum