Philosophy and religion in China

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philosophy and religion in China

Post  Marielly Martinez on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Born in 551 B.C. to a poor but noble family, Confucius was a brilliant scholar who hoped to become an advisor to a local ruler. He wandered from court to court talking to ruler’s about how to govern. Didn’t find a position, became a teacher. His reputation for wisdom grew, took on many students. Never wrote anything down (his students did after his death). Unlike Buddha Confucius took little interests in religious matters like salvation/afterlife. Instead he developed a philosophy (system of ideas) concerned with worldly goals, social order, and good government. He emphasized 5 key relationships: 1.Father to son, 2.older brother to younger brother, and3. Husband to wife, 4.ruler to subject and 5.friend to friend. All of these relationships are unequal except for 5. Everyone had duties and responsibilities. The most important duty was filial piety ( respect for parents).

Marielly Martinez
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Philosophy and religion in China

Post  Offek on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Good job Marielly! This post has a lot of important information about confucious. In my opinion, confucious has been a very important man in the worlds history. He made many important decisions that had a big impact on the world. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! bananarama
Offek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  chiaracasoni on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Confucius was right in many ways. I really like how he emphasized a good example for the population. I only agree with the 5th key relationship, the other ones weren't fair. If he would have written down his teachings it would have been interesting to read some primary sources that he wrote.

chiaracasoni
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum