Vampires in the 18th Century

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vampires in the 18th Century

Post  Reny P. on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Vampires have become very famous lately, but what we see on television today is different from what people heard back then. The word vampire came into the English language in about 1732. Vampire myths and rumors started back in the 18th Century, which are the years we are studying right now. During this time around 1789 the Great Fear occurred in France. There were rumors spreading around that armed men were roaming the countryside. So people armed themselves. I find this similar to the vampire rumors, because the farther the rumors spread, the more people were scared and started staking corpses. The rumors supposedly started in Eastern Europe, around Greece, Hungaria, and Romania. In Greece the called them vrykolakas and strigoi in Romania. Though in Britain they called them vampires (or vampyres).

There is one old story about a man named Peter, that died at the age of 62, and it said that he came back to life a couple of times, asking his son for food. On the other hand, his son refused, and was found dead, and so were some neighbors. The cause of their death was loss of blood, maybe thats why people think vampires feed on blood. Government officials even studied the bodies, and published books around Europe. Thats what made the peasants said there was an epidemic of vampire attacks, there were even digging up bodies from their graves, and they staked people.

If you lived in that time, would you believe the vampire rumors or the rumors from the Great Fear?
Do you think philosophers would of believed in vampires? I mean they did view the world in a different way right?

source: http://www.thingsthatgoboo.com/monsters/vamphistory18thcentury.htm
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeria Kamenetska on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Interesting ...As you said what we believe now is totally different. If I lived in that time I would probably believe in that rumors , maybe because in this time the science wasn't as good as it is now and there wasn't any other explanation. About the philosophers , I think they would believe in the rumors too , since what they viewed different were the social and political system.

Valeria Kamenetska
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Re: Vampires in the 18th Century

Post  Paola fix on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 am

I think its kind of creepy how people get these stories to their mind, no one will ever know why this is so. maybe they're true maybe not, i guess you gotta see it to believe it, that's what i think, not hear it to believe, that's a rumor. : D
Paola fix
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

If I would live at that time, I think I would also believe in those rumors. People before practically believed everything you told them. I think the philosophers would look at that rumor twice. I dont think they would believe it right away, they might have to experiment and see it with their own eyes to prove that it was true or not.
Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Re: Vampires in the 18th Century

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum